Finally going saltwater!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for your input! Getting the tank today!! Petco is open and everything is 15% off. Would Aqueon power head work? There 15% off all there products. Gonna get some other stuff from there also. Half there tetra and small stock is a bucks each.

I need 2 power heads so figured maybe save money there and get a nice light? What's more important? I have the filter and heater already. Just need a glass top. Or I could do no top.

Thanks for your input! Getting the tank today!! Petco is open and everything is 15% off. Would Aqueon power head work? There 15% off all there products. Gonna get some other stuff from there also. Half there tetra and small stock is a bucks each.

I need 2 power heads so figured maybe save money there and get a nice light? What's more important? I have the filter and heater already. Just need a glass top. Or I could do no top.

You could use an Aqueon powerhead, but carey got them and she wasn't a big fan.
Here is her review:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/my-review-of-aqueon-powerheads-185283.html

As far as powerheads go, I tend to like Koralias. :) They are great quality and work well.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks. I guess cutting a few corners in my saltwater build may not be the best idea. Also friends are discouraging me saying I'm gonna HATE a 20 gallon because it's a lot of work and I should go big. Well my life agreed to the beautiful 75 gallon African tank in out living room with beautiful pine stand and matching canopy and also a small 20 gallon tank for her soon to be puffer tank. So we don't really have the room for anything bigger. So a 20 gallon is really it. I could always try and see if I can go a little bigger considering the dollar a gallon sale but I'm not gonna press my luck, ya know what I mean :)

Anyway most of the guys here at the firehouse who have or had saltwater are saying I'm gonna hate it and it's too much work for a 20 gallon. I need some positive reinforcement.

If you're looking for positive reinforcement check out the nano tank section.. there's some pick tanks that are 3 gallon lol. There's some gorgeous tanks in there

NyteGTI said:
If you're looking for positive reinforcement check out the nano tank section.. there's some pick tanks that are 3 gallon lol. There's some gorgeous tanks in there

Will do, thanks. :)

redsea said:
20 gallons aren't bad. A lot of people here have 29 gallon BioCubes which are doing well, and your tank is only 9 gallons less. Just keep an eye on your parameters and you should be fine. :)

Agreed, im a newbie and i have a 30!

Man some of those tanks are SWEET!! The bc29 which I'm guessing are biocubes seem to come with everything and there amazing! I can't believe how beautiful a 29 gallon can look and did I see a few BC14 which I'm guessing is 14 gallon.

Convict2161 said:
Man some of those tanks are SWEET!! The bc29 which I'm guessing are biocubes seem to come with everything and there amazing! I can't believe how beautiful a 29 gallon can look and did I see a few BC14 which I'm guessing is 14 gallon.

Ya, those tanks have it all. Plus, the lights they come with can actually support some less demandig corals! Id go for one of those if i were you.

Question: your wife wants a puffer tank, but couldnt you convince her out of that tank and just go a bit larger on the sw tank?

I'd put a top over the tank, heat escapes faster without one and could mess up the output of heat through the thermometer; kinda wish I had Dan Underwood's phone number off the top of my head, that guy is amazing with his saltwater knowledge!

Gboy66 said:
Ya, those tanks have it all. Plus, the lights they come with can actually support some less demandig corals! Id go for one of those if i were you.

Question: your wife wants a puffer tank, but couldnt you convince her out of that tank and just go a bit larger on the sw tank?

Working on it my man... Working on it... ;)

Maybe getting myself a biocube instead :)

29 gallon one!! We shall see what happens. She's looking at saltwater fish. She wants 2 clownfish and creatures for the bottom. I just don't know what I can put in the bio cube. She also wants this fish that sifts through the sand. Not sure of the name maybe a goby? Well she wants one of those. I'd have to ask here what a 29 BC can safety hold.

The three most used and recommended powerheads that I've come across in my research are the Hydor Koralias, Tunze, and Vortechs. I have also done quite a bit of research on the JBJ OceanStream powerheads, which are cheaper than any of those 3. They are also controllable. I was going to go with either two of the JBJ's or Koralias, but I chose to go with Tunze instead. If you're on a budget, Tunze and Vortechs probably aren't going to fit in there. The JBJ's have more random flow than the koralias, which is why I almost went with them.

I might have missed it, but are you going to run a sump? That would give you another several gallons of water (depending on the size), making the tank more stable and giving you a place to hide equipment. You can buy the overflow kit for about $70, but you should plan on a sump costing you an additional $150+ depending on the pump, tank, etc that you choose. Definitely a worth-while investment IMO, after choosing to use one on my 40b.

To be honest, as much as I like to buy local, it's usually going to cost you a bit more. Looking at a lot of the stuff I purchased online, in store would have cost me well over $200 more.

mfdrookie516 said:
The three most used and recommended powerheads that I've come across in my research are the Hydor Koralias, Tunze, and Vortechs. I have also done quite a bit of research on the JBJ OceanStream powerheads, which are cheaper than any of those 3. They are also controllable. I was going to go with either two of the JBJ's or Koralias, but I chose to go with Tunze instead. If you're on a budget, Tunze and Vortechs probably aren't going to fit in there. The JBJ's have more random flow than the koralias, which is why I almost went with them.

I might have missed it, but are you going to run a sump? That would give you another several gallons of water (depending on the size), making the tank more stable and giving you a place to hide equipment. You can buy the overflow kit for about $70, but you should plan on a sump costing you an additional $150+ depending on the pump, tank, etc that you choose. Definitely a worth-while investment IMO, after choosing to use one on my 40b.

To be honest, as much as I like to buy local, it's usually going to cost you a bit more. Looking at a lot of the stuff I purchased online, in store would have cost me well over $200 more.

Honestly I'm so new to this I didn't even think of a sump and now I'm looking at these bio cube setups. A lot of really nice ones on YouTube.

I'm running a nanocube and love it so far .. its hot everything I need for zoas and some easy lps. There's a 24 gallon one if those too. But yea sump should be done.. it'll make your life so.much easier

Honestly I'm so new to this I didn't even think of a sump and now I'm looking at these bio cube setups. A lot of really nice ones on YouTube.

Here's what I took in to consideration when figuring out what I wanted to do. I looked at the biocubes, nano cubes, pretty much all of the AIO units. I almost went with a BC29 until I realized that these are very similar to those 'kits' you get. They have what the manufacturer thinks is best. They don't offer a lot of room for changes, unless you want to spend crazy money on some of the 'mods' that are available. You can make a reef tank as cheap or as expensive as you want. You can do a lower light, less extreme tank, or you can do an all out, keep anything you want coral tank with reactors, etc. I think that with a standard 20g or 29g tank, you're going to have a lot more options than with a biocube. The initial cost might be a little less with the biocube once everything is said and done,but you have the ability to do a lot more with a standard tank.

Don't get me wrong, I saw a 29g biocube the other day that was simply stunning... just not all that customizable in comparison to a stand alone system. This is, of course, just my opinion.

Yeah I'm going back and forth. Cube or 20 gallon long. Didn't think the first step would be so hard. I guess because I'm totally new to this I was thinking of simplicity so the cube sounds like a no brainer kinda. If I got the 20 or 30 gallon then I feel like I'm building from scratch. Trying to figure out the best route. Heres 2 pictures of my friends 10 gallon and so far he's up to $247.00 no fish or anything yet. He's cycling right now.

View attachment 68133

View attachment 68134

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
Yeah I'm going back and forth. Cube or 20 gallon long. Didn't think the first step would be so hard. I guess because I'm totally new to this I was thinking of simplicity so the cube sounds like a no brainer kinda. If I got the 20 or 30 gallon then I feel like I'm building from scratch. Trying to figure out the best route. Heres 2 pictures of my friends 10 gallon and so far he's up to $247.00 no fish or anything yet. He's cycling right now.

Ya, to make it easier on you i would go for the cube.

Heck, im well over $400, and i have no fish at all! Im cycling! Expensive hobby..

For the basic that I want. I think the 29 cube it's gonna be. Any stock suggestions. I know I want to clownfish for my son. An one of those sand sifting fish gobys?

A pair of clowns and a goby and maybe a firefish would work. Your gonna need about 35 lbs of rock for a reef tank. For a cleanup crew im thinking 6-8 hermits, 1 emerald, and 3-5 nessarius and 3-5 astrea or turbo snails. But this is just what I'd do and by no means perfect. You can add in a shrimp with this but they're not my favorite so I choose not to.

Convict2161 said:
For the basic that I want. I think the 29 cube it's gonna be. Any stock suggestions. I know I want to clownfish for my son. An one of those sand sifting fish gobys?

You could get a sand sifting goby, but after the tank and the sadbed has been established. This usually takes like 7 months:/

Down worry, i am sure your wife could find some awesome blennys here, have her check this out

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+23

And gobys here

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+31

Back
Top Bottom