Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for your input! Getting the tank today!! Petco is open and everything is 15% off. Would Aqueon power head work? There 15% off all there products. Gonna get some other stuff from there also. Half there tetra and small stock is a bucks each.

I need 2 power heads so figured maybe save money there and get a nice light? What's more important? I have the filter and heater already. Just need a glass top. Or I could do no top.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
Thanks for your input! Getting the tank today!! Petco is open and everything is 15% off. Would Aqueon power head work? There 15% off all there products. Gonna get some other stuff from there also. Half there tetra and small stock is a bucks each.

I need 2 power heads so figured maybe save money there and get a nice light? What's more important? I have the filter and heater already. Just need a glass top. Or I could do no top.
You could use an Aqueon powerhead, but carey got them and she wasn't a big fan.
Here is her review:
My Review of Aqueon Powerheads

As far as powerheads go, I tend to like Koralias. They are great quality and work well.

I hope this is helpful.

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks. I guess cutting a few corners in my saltwater build may not be the best idea. Also friends are discouraging me saying I'm gonna HATE a 20 gallon because it's a lot of work and I should go big. Well my life agreed to the beautiful 75 gallon African tank in out living room with beautiful pine stand and matching canopy and also a small 20 gallon tank for her soon to be puffer tank. So we don't really have the room for anything bigger. So a 20 gallon is really it. I could always try and see if I can go a little bigger considering the dollar a gallon sale but I'm not gonna press my luck, ya know what I mean

Anyway most of the guys here at the firehouse who have or had saltwater are saying I'm gonna hate it and it's too much work for a 20 gallon. I need some positive reinforcement.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 01-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you're looking for positive reinforcement check out the nano tank section.. there's some pick tanks that are 3 gallon lol. There's some gorgeous tanks in there
NyteGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteGTI
If you're looking for positive reinforcement check out the nano tank section.. there's some pick tanks that are 3 gallon lol. There's some gorgeous tanks in there
Will do, thanks.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Will do, thanks.
20 gallons aren't bad. A lot of people here have 29 gallon BioCubes which are doing well, and your tank is only 9 gallons less. Just keep an eye on your parameters and you should be fine.
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsea

20 gallons aren't bad. A lot of people here have 29 gallon BioCubes which are doing well, and your tank is only 9 gallons less. Just keep an eye on your parameters and you should be fine.
Agreed, im a newbie and i have a 30!
Old 01-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Man some of those tanks are SWEET!! The bc29 which I'm guessing are biocubes seem to come with everything and there amazing! I can't believe how beautiful a 29 gallon can look and did I see a few BC14 which I'm guessing is 14 gallon.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
Man some of those tanks are SWEET!! The bc29 which I'm guessing are biocubes seem to come with everything and there amazing! I can't believe how beautiful a 29 gallon can look and did I see a few BC14 which I'm guessing is 14 gallon.
Ya, those tanks have it all. Plus, the lights they come with can actually support some less demandig corals! Id go for one of those if i were you.

Question: your wife wants a puffer tank, but couldnt you convince her out of that tank and just go a bit larger on the sw tank?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:

I'd put a top over the tank, heat escapes faster without one and could mess up the output of heat through the thermometer; kinda wish I had Dan Underwood's phone number off the top of my head, that guy is amazing with his saltwater knowledge!

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com