Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Ya, those tanks have it all. Plus, the lights they come with can actually support some less demandig corals! Id go for one of those if i were you.

Question: your wife wants a puffer tank, but couldnt you convince her out of that tank and just go a bit larger on the sw tank?
Working on it my man... Working on it...

Maybe getting myself a biocube instead

29 gallon one!! We shall see what happens. She's looking at saltwater fish. She wants 2 clownfish and creatures for the bottom. I just don't know what I can put in the bio cube. She also wants this fish that sifts through the sand. Not sure of the name maybe a goby? Well she wants one of those. I'd have to ask here what a 29 BC can safety hold.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #32
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

The three most used and recommended powerheads that I've come across in my research are the Hydor Koralias, Tunze, and Vortechs. I have also done quite a bit of research on the JBJ OceanStream powerheads, which are cheaper than any of those 3. They are also controllable. I was going to go with either two of the JBJ's or Koralias, but I chose to go with Tunze instead. If you're on a budget, Tunze and Vortechs probably aren't going to fit in there. The JBJ's have more random flow than the koralias, which is why I almost went with them.

I might have missed it, but are you going to run a sump? That would give you another several gallons of water (depending on the size), making the tank more stable and giving you a place to hide equipment. You can buy the overflow kit for about $70, but you should plan on a sump costing you an additional $150+ depending on the pump, tank, etc that you choose. Definitely a worth-while investment IMO, after choosing to use one on my 40b.

To be honest, as much as I like to buy local, it's usually going to cost you a bit more. Looking at a lot of the stuff I purchased online, in store would have cost me well over $200 more.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
The three most used and recommended powerheads that I've come across in my research are the Hydor Koralias, Tunze, and Vortechs. I have also done quite a bit of research on the JBJ OceanStream powerheads, which are cheaper than any of those 3. They are also controllable. I was going to go with either two of the JBJ's or Koralias, but I chose to go with Tunze instead. If you're on a budget, Tunze and Vortechs probably aren't going to fit in there. The JBJ's have more random flow than the koralias, which is why I almost went with them.

I might have missed it, but are you going to run a sump? That would give you another several gallons of water (depending on the size), making the tank more stable and giving you a place to hide equipment. You can buy the overflow kit for about $70, but you should plan on a sump costing you an additional $150+ depending on the pump, tank, etc that you choose. Definitely a worth-while investment IMO, after choosing to use one on my 40b.

To be honest, as much as I like to buy local, it's usually going to cost you a bit more. Looking at a lot of the stuff I purchased online, in store would have cost me well over $200 more.
Honestly I'm so new to this I didn't even think of a sump and now I'm looking at these bio cube setups. A lot of really nice ones on YouTube.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 01-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm running a nanocube and love it so far .. its hot everything I need for zoas and some easy lps. There's a 24 gallon one if those too. But yea sump should be done.. it'll make your life so.much easier
NyteGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #35
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
Honestly I'm so new to this I didn't even think of a sump and now I'm looking at these bio cube setups. A lot of really nice ones on YouTube.

Here's what I took in to consideration when figuring out what I wanted to do. I looked at the biocubes, nano cubes, pretty much all of the AIO units. I almost went with a BC29 until I realized that these are very similar to those 'kits' you get. They have what the manufacturer thinks is best. They don't offer a lot of room for changes, unless you want to spend crazy money on some of the 'mods' that are available. You can make a reef tank as cheap or as expensive as you want. You can do a lower light, less extreme tank, or you can do an all out, keep anything you want coral tank with reactors, etc. I think that with a standard 20g or 29g tank, you're going to have a lot more options than with a biocube. The initial cost might be a little less with the biocube once everything is said and done,but you have the ability to do a lot more with a standard tank.

Don't get me wrong, I saw a 29g biocube the other day that was simply stunning... just not all that customizable in comparison to a stand alone system. This is, of course, just my opinion.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I'm going back and forth. Cube or 20 gallon long. Didn't think the first step would be so hard. I guess because I'm totally new to this I was thinking of simplicity so the cube sounds like a no brainer kinda. If I got the 20 or 30 gallon then I feel like I'm building from scratch. Trying to figure out the best route. Heres 2 pictures of my friends 10 gallon and so far he's up to $247.00 no fish or anything yet. He's cycling right now.

Attachment 68133

Attachment 68134

Old 01-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
Yeah I'm going back and forth. Cube or 20 gallon long. Didn't think the first step would be so hard. I guess because I'm totally new to this I was thinking of simplicity so the cube sounds like a no brainer kinda. If I got the 20 or 30 gallon then I feel like I'm building from scratch. Trying to figure out the best route. Heres 2 pictures of my friends 10 gallon and so far he's up to $247.00 no fish or anything yet. He's cycling right now.
Ya, to make it easier on you i would go for the cube.

Heck, im well over $400, and i have no fish at all! Im cycling! Expensive hobby..
Old 01-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

For the basic that I want. I think the 29 cube it's gonna be. Any stock suggestions. I know I want to clownfish for my son. An one of those sand sifting fish gobys?

Old 01-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A pair of clowns and a goby and maybe a firefish would work. Your gonna need about 35 lbs of rock for a reef tank. For a cleanup crew im thinking 6-8 hermits, 1 emerald, and 3-5 nessarius and 3-5 astrea or turbo snails. But this is just what I'd do and by no means perfect. You can add in a shrimp with this but they're not my favorite so I choose not to.
NyteGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
For the basic that I want. I think the 29 cube it's gonna be. Any stock suggestions. I know I want to clownfish for my son. An one of those sand sifting fish gobys?
You could get a sand sifting goby, but after the tank and the sadbed has been established. This usually takes like 7 months:/

Down worry, i am sure your wife could find some awesome blennys here, have her check this out

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/a...es.cfm?c=15+23

And gobys here

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/a...es.cfm?c=15+31

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com