Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
The place I'm getting the cube from told me they have a 300 gallon tank filled with live rock. Can that be? It's a place called House Of Fins in Greenwich CT. He said he has everything I need to start the cycle. Sand, rock whatever I need. On my way!!
Oh ya totally possible, but that is definaty not the cheapest way to go man. Just go to reefcleaners and buy 35 lbs of dry reef rock, then get another 10 of live to add to the base.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok will do man. Also I was reading. Put the rock down first right? Like right on the glass so if I have any creatures that dig the rocks won't shift. Am I on the right track?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Ok will do man. Also I was reading. Put the rock down first right? Like right on the glass so if I have any creatures that dig the rocks won't shift. Am I on the right track?
Yea, but i feel uneasy about putting 30lbs of rock directly on glass..so im going to add half of my sand, really dig the rocks into it, then add the rest.

Another option is to put egg crate on the bottom of the tank and stick the rocks directly on that. Then add all of your sand.

Either or!

Im also going to glue all my unstable rocks together so that none fall, i want to create some archways!
Old 01-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like the archway idea!!

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 01-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
I like the archway idea!!
Dude totally, ima put rocks on both sides making some nice caves, and just make arch after arch. hopefully it turns out just like it is in my head
Old 01-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Place was no good!! I'm soo you know what. The guy tallied it all up and at the end we were at $1,400 no rock or fish!!! That was tank,stand,sand,protein skimmer and hydrometer. Oh and a heater. That was crazy!! And the regular 29 gallon bio cube without that special light was under 400 bucks!! With the same included!! Did I miss something?! WOW!!!

Old 01-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Place was no good!! I'm soo you know what. The guy tallied it all up and at the end we were at $1,400 no rock or fish!!! That was tank,stand,sand,protein skimmer and hydrometer. Oh and a heater. That was crazy!! And the regular 29 gallon bio cube without that special light was under 400 bucks!! With the same included!! Did I miss something?! WOW!!!
What the heck?? Did he misplace that 1 or somthing?

Uhmmm, craigslist. Lol
Old 01-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah bummer but I'll get there by this weekend!!

Old 01-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

Will the lights on the regular bio cube 29 be sufficient for corals? I'm being told no. I'm being told my the LFS that I need the HQI bio cube for corals. Anything less and it's just a rock and fish tank.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Check with carey as she has one .. but im pretty sure it'll support most of the lower maintenance corals.. so no clams, sps, or anemones

NyteGTI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com