Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

You dont need a protein skimmer, or a refigium actually! I would buy the 40 dollar one withthe cube even though it isnt the best, but for a 29 it will do!

As for the heater, anything rated to around 40 gallons will be good enough. I have heard that aquons are good, but i bought some german brand lol
Thanks G! I'll do the skimmer since it goes and it's cheap. What about a UV light for the filter section? Some people are STRONGLY recommending one.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

Thanks G! I'll do the skimmer since it goes and it's cheap. What about a UV light for the filter section? Some people are STRONGLY recommending one.
Is this light an attatchment for the cube? Im not familiar with it

Old 01-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Is this light an attatchment for the cube? Im not familiar with it
The guy is telling me it's an add on that I should get. A UV sterilizer light?

http://www.oceanicsystems.com/produc...sterilizer.php

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 01-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:

The guy is telling me it's an add on that I should get. A UV sterilizer light?

http://www.oceanicsystems.com/produc...sterilizer.php
Ya know, i havent heard of these things being necassary for a small tank, sortof like a protein skimmer or refigium.

Maybe carey should chime in! Hint hint!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

I PM'd her hopefully she will stop by an help out. Although she has helped me SO much already so I'd like to thank her publicly. Thank you Carey!!

Old 01-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
I PM'd her hopefully she will stop by an help out. Although she has helped me SO much already so I'd like to thank her publicly. Thank you Carey!!
She is such a help, totally agreed
Old 01-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hi guys.

I would pass on the UV if it were me. I will say alot of people swear by them so I'm not discounting their potential for good use, just in my experience I havent used one and havent found the need to use one.

People say it can help out with disease but once you have ich for instance you have ich and the UV isnt gonna cure it, it might catch some of the ich or parasite but it cant catch it all. I will agree that it can help with algae issues, but if you keep up your tank maintenance then you shouldnt really worry too much about that.

As far as the skimmer, if you got the cube that has it included then all is good but if you are thinking of going out and buying one I would say wait it out and see if you need one.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Hi guys.

I would pass on the UV if it were me. I will say alot of people swear by them so I'm not discounting their potential for good use, just in my experience I havent used one and havent found the need to use one.

People say it can help out with disease but once you have ich for instance you have ich and the UV isnt gonna cure it, it might catch some of the ich or parasite but it cant catch it all. I will agree that it can help with algae issues, but if you keep up your tank maintenance then you shouldnt really worry too much about that.

As far as the skimmer, if you got the cube that has it included then all is good but if you are thinking of going out and buying one I would say wait it out and see if you need one.
Ahh i knew carey would be silently following lol

I want to learn for a sec, so a UV does what? Does it go into the water and such up very fine particles?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The UV is usually a long tube with an ultra violet light inside. You use a small pump or your return to pass water through it. The UV can kill parasites and other baddies but it also can kill off good bacteria as well. It doesnt suck up anything at all, it just has water pass slowly past the UV light. Thats it.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
The UV is usually a long tube with an ultra violet light inside. You use a small pump or your return to pass water through it. The UV can kill parasites and other baddies but it also can kill off good bacteria as well. It doesnt suck up anything at all, it just has water pass slowly past the UV light. Thats it.
That sounds really cool, are these necessary for larger tanks, but not smaller ones?

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com