Finally going saltwater!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mfdrookie516 said:
Look at it this way. You spent $100+ on a powerhead that is capable of pushing out 1200gph. It uses 7w. The 240 uses 3.5w. You also won't be 'restricting' it any. The other thing is that the Tunze I have are a little noisy unless I put a rubber piece between the mount and the glass. I just think it makes a lot more sense to use that $75 towards something more useful than having a powerhead that is capable of pushing 1200gph in a 29g tank.

Totally makes perfect sense when you just but it like that!! :)

Thanks for being so helpful. So will the 425 do the job? Or the 240?

Check petmountain.com I got 1400 gph koralia powerheads for 45 each the smaller ones will be super cheap.

Yep, the 425 is ok for a biocube. i sometimes wish I had a bigger one, lol, but 425 should be fine. :)

carey said:
Yep, the 425 is ok for a biocube. i sometimes wish I had a bigger one, lol, but 425 should be fine. :)

Well I didn't order anything yet so I'm open to suggestions. Please share. I'm doing this so I do it right the first time. I don't wanna wish I had done this or that after words.

So we have:

Skimmer (needed?) if so is the bio cube one good enough?
Power head (looking at the 425)
UV Light (again is the bio cube one good enough?)

what about that media ball compartment? Do you bio cube users, use it? And the pump with the suction cups? It just goes on the bottom? Not attached to anything expect the out take?

Man this cube is confusing me :( but I can fight fires etc... Scary!! lol!

haha yea just attach the suction cups to the pump & put in in the chamber & connect the outet hose to the return on the wall.

media balls.. get rid of them

the media basket though, keep it & use it for chemi pure & purigen :) I think.. I forgot what the stock media basket looks like but if it looks like the intank one then yea you're good.

NyteGTI said:
haha yea just attach the suction cups to the pump & put in in the chamber & connect the outet hose to the return on the wall.

media balls.. get rid of them

the media basket though, keep it & use it for chemi pure & purigen :) I think.. I forgot what the stock media basket looks like but if it looks like the intank one then yea you're good.

Ok so I'll toss the media balls. Heater goes in what chamber? The filter one or the one with the pump?

Oh and here ya go... John said run it like this till Monday. He called it a "wet run" see if anything breaks, make sure everything works and no leaks then Monday we drain, add RO water, salt, rock and sand. I think he said sand, maybe it was just rock first. I forget. lol my head is still spinning. Now I was reading that the skimmer is useless if I do weekly water changes. And the UV isn't really needed as well?! I read waaaaay too much!! You know what I mean Ryan? lol.

Haha yea man I know you love information. Yea it's good to run it just water in it to make sure no leaks etc. Man wait until you put corals in and then decide its not enough flow or the right flow in the right places.. im going nuts with my.little candy canes and frogspawn I just put in lol. I can see that choosing where to place each coral is going to be your ocd lol. You thought your FW scape was tough.. just wait til your entire scape is living things with light and flow requirements haha have fun buddy.

NyteGTI said:
Haha yea man I know you love information. Yea it's good to run it just water in it to make sure no leaks etc. Man wait until you put corals in and then decide its not enough flow or the right flow in the right places.. im going nuts with my.little candy canes and frogspawn I just put in lol. I can see that choosing where to place each coral is going to be your ocd lol. You thought your FW scape was tough.. just wait til your entire scape is living things with light and flow requirements haha have fun buddy.

Haha!! Yeah I'll try!! And I won't forget those gloves!! :)

Yea just in case. I got my frogspawn frag from a local reefer who actually has an allergic reaction to the coral. And not.just the fleshy part but all of it so he HAS to wear em lol. But ill be wearing them just in case. But remember no powder versions.. don't want the powder to release in the tank lol.

NyteGTI said:
Yea just in case. I got my frogspawn frag from a local reefer who actually has an allergic reaction to the coral. And not.just the fleshy part but all of it so he HAS to wear em lol. But ill be wearing them just in case. But remember no powder versions.. don't want the powder to release in the tank lol.

Gotcha! :)

Back
Top Bottom