Finally Gonna go Saltwater - 29 Gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@tlkng1. We did go with the superior pad with the vapor barrier and cork to be more quiet and cushioned. I am having my counters done in granite on Wednesday and then hopefully a couple weeks later, the floors. I am hoping that I can tear down and move back when the floor where the tank is sitting is done then move it back. Rather than tear down, set up somewhere else, then tear down and move back
@rdnelson99, My car needs a paint job too! I dont have the guts to attempt that though!

spoonman;1586900@rdnelson99 said:
Me neither and I worked in a body shop when I was in high school. LOL Of course that was in the dark ages. I am so old....I knew the Dead Sea when it was just sick. :)

img_1647377_0_64aae7853644606b52adbc98867aa30c.jpg

Here are the new floors in with the 140 moved back to its spot! I drained the tank and put the fish in buckets, then when we had enough floor done I moved it back and started to re set it up. Now that the floors are done I can move on with the 29G switch to saltwater!

I ordered the RO/DI unit yesterday and should have it in a week or so. So, here is what I have so far:

4 bulb T5HO light
160G bucket of salt
2-Hydor Koralia 550 powerheads
refractometer
dry rock 40lbs
Saltwater Master Test Kit
Heater
RO/DI unit (ordered)
Fluval 405 canister filter

Still need:

Live rock 10-15lbs
Brute 35 gallon trash can for mixing water

Just picked up a 40 gallon glass tank for $15 in preparation for turning into sump for the 140G when I decide to go saltwater in that tank. Hopefully setting up the 29g in the next couple of weeks!

Last edited:
Thanks Carey, most of the information came from you! Time to start thinking about fish. Only thing I know for sure is a clown pair. Rest is up in the air right now. I figure 4 or 5 fish depending on which fish. About right? what would you have for a CUC in a 29 gallon tank?

Depending on the fish 4 or 5 is a good number. I had about 30 narsarrious snails (they dont eat algae but go under the sand), maybe 10 hermits and about 10 other miscellaneous snails that do eat algae. I also had a serpent starfish in the 29g as well.

My current 29g cube only has about 15-20 nasarrious snails and maybe 5 hermits. It all depends on what you like, they arent' even necessary if ypu don't want them. :-D

lol. I've read that it's 1 cuc member per gallon, but that seems like too many. Why I suggested 10. :-D

I really think it depends on the tank what kind of cuc you get. For a tank with clowns you will need something that eats leftovers, they are such messy eaters.

I add one member of the cuc at a time so I can monitor if there is enough food to go around.

Reefcleaners has great cuc however just be aware they seem to send more than you actually expect have one or two saltwater buddies to share even the smallest cuc with.

You can keep a hermit in a gal aquarium with no issues but when dealing with multiples its best to give each ten. Most snails can be added at the rate of one a gal, but some esp conches need much more than that, i have a two inch conch in my 28gal but without algae sheets it would need nearly twice that in order to survive.

Got my RO/DI unit today from purewaterclub. I didn't get the T fitting with the ball valve for the sink. Isn't that the standard fitting that comes with it? In the add on e-bay it looks like that is the default and if you want something different you have to specify. Anyone that has bought this one please let me know what you got with it.

That is the T-fitting with the ball valve, right? I didn't get it. I sent them an e-mail. We will see what happens.

I see what fitting I got now. I got the one that screws into the faucet. I will have to ask them for the T-fitting that goes in the water feed to the faucet. I replaced my bathroom and kitchen faucets and they don't have the same threads that the last ones had. I thought that was universal but it isn't. I wonder if I will have to buy the T-fitting?

You might have to spring the $5 or so for the fitting, unless they let you return the one you did get. :-( I inquired about another fitting right after I got mine and they directed me to their website.

You can get them at Home Depot or Lowes for next to nothing. In my opinion, that would be better than the hassle of sending one back and trying to get them to send you the right one. Unscrew the airator off your faucet and take it with you. Then tell the guy in the plumbing department that you need a 1/4" quick fitting for tubing that will adapt to that size pipe. He should be able to help you out.

I got an e-mail back from them and they are going to send me the right one for nothing. The ad for mine (50gpd) said they would send the T-fitting with the purchase. They agreed that is what the ad said and will send me the T-fitting. Very good customer service!! I will order a larger unit from them if I go with a bigger tank. I want the T-fitting so I can connect it under my bathroom sink and not have to take it on and off the faucet.

I got an e-mail back from them and they are going to send me the right one for nothing. The ad for mine (50gpd) said they would send the T-fitting with the purchase. They agreed that is what the ad said and will send me the T-fitting. Very good customer service!! I will order a larger unit from them if I go with a bigger tank. I want the T-fitting so I can connect it under my bathroom sink and not have to take it on and off the faucet.

you dont need a larger unit for a larger tank, Just set it up with a float valve and you will have all the water you need all the time. I have my Ro/di unit thats a 4stage 90gpd pumping into a 55 gallon drum and I could never use all the water that is in the drum at the same time. Then after I do the water changes I turn my water on let it fill all night and turn it off in the morning. I have a powerhead and heater in the drum to keep the water moving and it the same temp as my tank. I put a sump in it with a short hose, so all i have to do is plug it in to fill up my buckets.

good point CleverBs. You couldnt use more than 50 gallons a day anyway unless you were doing huge water changes.

Back
Top Bottom