Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #41
Fish R friends, not food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99 View Post
I buy by the case. In the case are four individually sealed bags. When I open a bag, I split it into two zip lock freezer bags. That way, the only salt that is getting exposed to the moisture in the air is the freezer bag I am currently using. May be overkill but it seems to me that putting it in a bucket would expose all of it to moisture each time I open the bucket. I am sure as much water as Carey makes, it would be an issue for her but since I am only doing 5 gal PWC per week it takes me a while to use it up.
I think that may be a good plan, since I am only gonna be doing water changes in a 29G, I wont need alot. Do like the idea of buying larger amounts at a better price and splitting it up like you do!

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #42

Received a couple things today.

Just gotta get a few more things and will be ready to start this project!

Old 10-03-2011, 12:16 AM   #43

Got a couple more things for my build. My LFS matched the F&S price on the salt and got one of my Korolia 550's. Dealing with the seller to get the other PH that I paid for. Next is the RO/DI system and a trash can to put the RO/DI water in. Gonna be a little delay since I am replacing the carpet in my house with hardwood floors. Gonna have to move the 140G and 240G tanks to do it. Not quite sure how yet. Probably gonna have to put them both in one room then floor the other. Then move them again and floor the other. What a pain!

Old 10-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not envying you on the move but sure will be nice when it is all done.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:00 PM   #45

Ya, I can't figure out a way not to move each tank twice. Gonna suck! Am looking forward to the new floors though. Getting rid of crappy carpet.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #46
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Looks like you're off to a good start, Tim. Looking forward to seeing this progress in to a reef. I'm very tempted to set up a reef myself (almost did a couple months back actually), you may just be the inspiration I need to go for it

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Luke, come over to the salty side.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #48

Question: In all my freshwater tanks I put eggcrate in the bottom of the tank before I put in the sand and rocks, so that the rocks dont sit directly on the bottom glass. Should I do this in saltwater also, or is that a bad thing? Also, got my second powerhead and my API master saltwater test kit yesterday. The time is getting closer and closer!
Old 10-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
Looks like you're off to a good start, Tim. Looking forward to seeing this progress in to a reef. I'm very tempted to set up a reef myself (almost did a couple months back actually), you may just be the inspiration I need to go for it

Ya, figured I have waited long enough. Now we will have a short delay since I am going to rip out my carpet and put in laminate flooring. Will wait until I get the flooring in before I set up this tank. Dont want to move it once its done!
Old 10-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

The eggcrate is not a good idea in SW. You want your CUC or any sand sifting fish to be able to get through the sand bed. A lot of people put the rocks directly on the bottom of the tank prior to putting sand in. That way, if sand shifts or if you have a sand sifting fish the rocks wont topple and kill something or break the tank. Others, use small pieces of white PVC to support the rock off of the tank bottom. This still allows critters to go through the sand without disturbing the rock.

Tags
29 gallon, build, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com