Finally Gonna go Saltwater - 29 Gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It looks SUPER!!!! :D I really regret buying my 2 bulb fixture when a 4 bulb was $10 more!! GRR

Thanks Ibrahim, I am glad I got this fixture. Low price and a pretty decent light. Don't know if it will be what I need down the road if I go with alot of corals, but it's great for now.

That is really looking good. I wished I could get my rock work to look that good.

Thanks Joy, lots of practice with my freshy tanks. I use mostly lace rock in those. Now one of my freshies is all driftwood and the other is lace rock.

One decision that I don't know about. Bought this when I got the live rock. My friend at the LFS swears by it. I have been dealing with him for years and trust him so am giving it a try. Poured it in this morning and will post some test results later tonight.

image-909729013.jpg

Instant cycling in a bottle is usually always a waste of money I have found. I have never seen that brand before so I don't know for sure if it works or not. When the tank is cycling is the time I usually spend looking for pest hitchhikers and figuring out what fish and invertebrates I want in my tank.

I am torn with the instant cycling, but huge public aquariums use it to start, and theyre adding loads of livestock at once, also run by people who have been doing this for yrs... But a lot of the products have bad reviews...

I used to be pretty skeptical about those types of things, but a lot of people have had great results from some. Not all are created equal though, which is why most people say they're no good when they don't really know. Hope this is one of the good ones!

So, here are my first tests. I put in 35lbs of base, 10lbs of live rock and the bacteria stuff. Looks like .25ppm ammonia, 0 nitrIte and 10ppm nitrAte. What do you think? Salinity was 1.024.

image-276143323.jpg

spoonman said:
So, here are my first tests. I put in 35lbs of base, 10lbs of live rock and the bacteria stuff. Looks like .25ppm ammonia, 0 nitrIte and 10ppm nitrAte. What do you think? Salinity was 1.024.

You are going to need to does with ammonia or shrimp since there wasn't enough die off from the rock but it's a goodthing it's showing nitrates since that means there is some bacteria in your tank that turned your trites into trates

I feed some of my cichlids silversides. Would it be ok to put a couple in a bag and hang them in the tank?

I put in the silversides last night. They should work since they will decompose and cause ammonia, right? When should I test the water again? Sorry to ask so many questions.

spoonman said:
I put in the silversides last night. They should work since they will decompose and cause ammonia, right? When should I test the water again? Sorry to ask so many questions.

Yea it'll work

So, just finished testing and got the following results. I have a bag O' dead fish floating in the tank and it looks like its doing the trick. Should I just leave everything alone and test tomorrow?

image-512210780.jpg

Looks like 2ppm ammonia, 1ppm nitrIte and 20ppm nitrAte.

image-2308358005.jpg

Dead fish in a bag floating in the current.

Yeah, leave the fish in, and keep testing till your 0 amm, 0 trites and have trates. Dont worry about pwcs unless ammonia goes over 5ppm, the bacteria you want in your tank wants low numbers.

Back
Top Bottom