Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #61
Fish R friends, not food!

@tlkng1. We did go with the superior pad with the vapor barrier and cork to be more quiet and cushioned. I am having my counters done in granite on Wednesday and then hopefully a couple weeks later, the floors. I am hoping that I can tear down and move back when the floor where the tank is sitting is done then move it back. Rather than tear down, set up somewhere else, then tear down and move back
@rdnelson99, My car needs a paint job too! I dont have the guts to attempt that though!

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

[QUOTE=spoonman;1586900@rdnelson99, My car needs a paint job too! I dont have the guts to attempt that though![/QUOTE]

Me neither and I worked in a body shop when I was in high school. LOL Of course that was in the dark ages. I am so old....I knew the Dead Sea when it was just sick.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #63

Here are the new floors in with the 140 moved back to its spot! I drained the tank and put the fish in buckets, then when we had enough floor done I moved it back and started to re set it up. Now that the floors are done I can move on with the 29G switch to saltwater!

I ordered the RO/DI unit yesterday and should have it in a week or so. So, here is what I have so far:

4 bulb T5HO light
160G bucket of salt
2-Hydor Koralia 550 powerheads
refractometer
dry rock 40lbs
Saltwater Master Test Kit
Heater
RO/DI unit (ordered)
Fluval 405 canister filter

Still need:

Live rock 10-15lbs
Brute 35 gallon trash can for mixing water

Just picked up a 40 gallon glass tank for $15 in preparation for turning into sump for the 140G when I decide to go saltwater in that tank. Hopefully setting up the 29g in the next couple of weeks!
Old 11-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Great progress! Looking forward to the build.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #65

Thanks Carey, most of the information came from you! Time to start thinking about fish. Only thing I know for sure is a clown pair. Rest is up in the air right now. I figure 4 or 5 fish depending on which fish. About right? what would you have for a CUC in a 29 gallon tank?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Depending on the fish 4 or 5 is a good number. I had about 30 narsarrious snails (they dont eat algae but go under the sand), maybe 10 hermits and about 10 other miscellaneous snails that do eat algae. I also had a serpent starfish in the 29g as well.

My current 29g cube only has about 15-20 nasarrious snails and maybe 5 hermits. It all depends on what you like, they arent' even necessary if ypu don't want them.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
Shouldnt have more than 1 hermit for 10 gallons
Old 11-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtyboh View Post
Shouldnt have more than 1 hermit for 10 gallons
since my tank is a 45 does that mean I have to cut one of them in half????
Old 11-17-2011, 10:10 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

lol. I've read that it's 1 cuc member per gallon, but that seems like too many. Why I suggested 10.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

I really think it depends on the tank what kind of cuc you get. For a tank with clowns you will need something that eats leftovers, they are such messy eaters.

I add one member of the cuc at a time so I can monitor if there is enough food to go around.

Reefcleaners has great cuc however just be aware they seem to send more than you actually expect have one or two saltwater buddies to share even the smallest cuc with.

Tags
29 gallon, build, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com