Finally Gonna go Saltwater - 29 Gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They really didn't have any nice looking ocellaris. Wife and kids liked these better. Think the next fish I think will be the royal gramma. Wife and kids liked that one too. Luckily so do I.

spoonman said:
They really didn't have any nice looking ocellaris. Wife and kids liked these better. Think the next fish I think will be the royal gramma. Wife and kids liked that one too. Luckily so do I.

Yea I like the dark coloring in the middle they have when they mature.

Yeah, they royal gramma is a nice looking fish. I was told to hold off on it until later down the road, as they don't take kindly to new additions. No experience with that, obviously, just passing along what was recommended to me. I will most certainly have one in my tank.

Nice looking clowns. :)

I had my royal gramma as one of the first additions and she didn't bother a soul in the tank. She did spend most of her time hiding in the rockwork though. lol

First day and all is well!

Couple of pics this morning. Got the xenia and a bonus mushroom on the rock with it. I will be going back to the same guy in a couple weeks for the torch. I am so proud of myself for accomplishing this! One has quite the black saddle and it looks like the other is starting to get his/hers.

img_1744056_0_6573fcc0c0fee579790d29be131253da.jpg

img_1744056_1_350bc844e16cc5b916a492dabfe3e879.jpg

img_1744056_2_19a31d1a95304f69cbb4c9e58efafdab.jpg

When we went to pick up the corals last night, the guy has a 120g that is gorgeous. Wife pointed at a fish and said, "We gotta get one of those." Had to tell her it will be a while before we can have a mandarin....LOL. Hard to explain this to wife and kids. All these things will help my cause down the road to change my 140 over to salt. Explained to her about pods and the advantage of having a sump like this guy did. This may work out in my favor...LOL!

Ha... great minds think alike! Wife wants a mandarin and a purple tang. I'm thinking of how to convince her to let me set up a 180.

Looks good. I got my first corals today, this is all so exciting. Why did we wait so long to 'convert'?

Video of my 29 gallon on Day 16

Here is a short vid of the tank after 16 days

Can you tell I am excited about this tank? I cant wait to convert my 140 Gallon to salt. Have to save money for the lights on that one!

Anything you add has to have a food supply or it will die off. Add algae and detritus eating inverts sparingly. hermit crabs will kill snails for their shells. I once watched a hermit crab kill 3 snails in one day and swap shells 3 times.
I would get a hand full (5 or 10 tops) of astrea snails and maybe 2 or 3 nassarius snails. The nassarius snails can and probably should wait until you are actually feeding the tank. 1 or 2 emerald/porcelain/sally lightfoot crabs just for looks if you want.

Right after the cycle they can be added.

Well, you just have a shallow sand bed and it's brand new. There's no food for the nassarius snails. You'll want to put some in for them. Some sinking pellets perhaps.

Back
Top Bottom