Finally got a 55gal tank stand and more for $150

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

So for the past month I've been searching and searching on forums and bidding locally on ebay and I finally got a 55gal tank and all this stuff for $150.

I picked it up today and boy was I a happy man. I got a tank, stand, custom 4 tube hood that matched the stand with 2 10k bulbs and 3 actinic bulbs, original tank cover and the single tube flourscent light fixture, in tank skimmer, air pump, second nature 480 powerhead, Second Nature Whisper Triad Power Filter 60, and 2 tank heaters all for $150 bucks. I'm so excited I can't wait to fill it. this guy was great. He was just handing me stuff like it was going out of style.

Now for the questions. Will the 4 tube hood be strong enough to keep corals, annenomies, or have stuff grow from the live rock I get? Also how should I go about cycling the tank and for how long? Can I use instant ocean or should I use something else? So as far as filling the tank and getting it started what is the process I have to go through before I can put fish in it. I have already decided that I want to get a puffer, mandrin goby, and a pair of clowns. What would you suggest and or recommend?

Please keep in mind that I'm new to this so you might have to describe it like I'm an idiot to the hobby just so I don't miss anything.

How many watts is the 4 tube hood? If they are VHO then I doubt it but you might have some PCs. It will most likely let you get some coraline. I would use IO, just because it is so easily found. The mandarin goby might not be the best thing to get as they tend to starve over time.

d9hp said:
How many watts is the 4 tube hood? If they are VHO then I doubt it but you might have some PCs. It will most likely let you get some coraline. I would use IO, just because it is so easily found. The mandarin goby might not be the best thing to get as they tend to starve over time.

umm each bulb is 40 watts so thats a total of 160watts. The bulbs are 48" ones. what can you feed the goby then? i was gonna get a lawnmower one too perhaps.

EDKHOSTING said:
So for the past month I've been searching and searching on forums and bidding locally on ebay and I finally got a 55gal tank and all this stuff for $150.

I picked it up today and boy was I a happy man. I got a tank, stand, custom 4 tube hood that matched the stand with 2 10k bulbs and 3 actinic bulbs, original tank cover and the single tube flourscent light fixture, in tank skimmer, air pump, second nature 480 powerhead, Second Nature Whisper Triad Power Filter 60, and 2 tank heaters all for $150 bucks. I'm so excited I can't wait to fill it. this guy was great. He was just handing me stuff like it was going out of style.

Now for the questions. Will the 4 tube hood be strong enough to keep corals, annenomies, or have stuff grow from the live rock I get? Also how should I go about cycling the tank and for how long? Can I use instant ocean or should I use something else? So as far as filling the tank and getting it started what is the process I have to go through before I can put fish in it. I have already decided that I want to get a puffer, mandrin goby, and a pair of clowns. What would you suggest and or recommend?

Please keep in mind that I'm new to this so you might have to describe it like I'm an idiot to the hobby just so I don't miss anything.

Oops, that didnt work very well! The mandarin gobies need established live rock to feed off of. (it should be in the tank for several months first) They do not often take to eating other foods. When setting up your tank you may want to fill it with regular water first to check for leaks. Then add your water source ( I used RO water because tap water contains silicates which can contribute to algae blooms) You can mix the salt seperately and then add it to the tank, or mix it in the tank itself since you do not have any livestock. You will need a hydrometer to check the salinity. If you want a reef tank you will need some live rock. Puffers are not "reef safe" and will eat your corals. It will take 4-6 weeks for your tank to "cycle" before it is safe to add most livestock. You may want to pick up a book and do some reading before jumping in. This will save you some money in the long run. I like" the conscientious marine aquarium" by Robert Fenner. Good luck, keep us posted! :D

Back
Top Bottom