Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2006, 10:48 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

The Blue tang and Yellow Tangs can go in a 75 gallon with no problem though right? if this is the case I will just take the tank back up there and pay the extra $100

My son won't be happy without any tangs.

Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:15 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Only $100 more for both the tank and stand? Not a bad deal The extra width (18”) is helpful also if you want a sump.

A 75 is large enough for one or the other but not for two tangs.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:30 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
Only $100 more for both the tank and stand? Not a bad deal The extra width (18”) is helpful also if you want a sump.

A 75 is large enough for one or the other but not for two tangs.
So I could have a yellow or Blue Tang but not 2? That is weird I was also told that a 55 gallon could house 5 yellow tangs. but no more... Seems their projection was way off eh? hehehe

I had a feeling he was wrong but we just wanted 1 of each. At least with a 75 he can have a Yellow tang with no worry of overkill in the bioload.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:44 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

It’s not just the size that those two adult tangs would attain (16+”) but also aggression issues in that small of a tank.

Stock is determined by a ton of factors but tank size is the most limiting. The “general rule” is 1” of fish per 5 gal but following that rule explicitly seems quite limiting to most aquarist. I feel new SW aquarist should stick to that rule closely and should only slightly exceed it once enough experience is gained.

Of course the other determining factors for stocking are the quality of filtration, pwc schedule, and the type of fish you get.

If you have a skimmer, 1.5+ lbs of lr per gal, and are performing 15+% pwc each week those things allow you to slightly exceed the “rule”.

By buying thinner longer fish like clowns, damsels, wrasse, gobies, ect… and not a fatter or messy eater also helps extend that rule slightly ie: not a puffer, trigger, lion, eel, ect…

The use of a sump to extend total water volume also helps with keeping your nh3/no2/no3 in check.

Total length/height of the tank also has to be considered ie: a 55 gal tank gives you roughly 11”-14” of adult fish length but that doesn’t mean a Dog Face Puffer or Sailfin Tang which reach about that size should be attempted.

Main thing to take into consideration is that SW doesn’t exchange oxygen as well as FW does and greatly overstocking a tank will lead to suffocation if power is out longer then 4 hours. A generator or battery back up is highly recommended if slightly overstocking since all the filtration in the world is completely useless without power.

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
Old 05-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok I dunno if these are good prices or not but I went back to the LFS and talked them into the original deal I had going. They sold me the 75 gallon and Pine Stand for $255. This is only $5 more than what I paid for the 55 gallon except it didn't include the light. (The light was useless to me though as it was a LO florescent and I woulda thrown it out anyways.)

I have it in my living room ready to set up after work now!
Old 05-24-2006, 02:26 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sweet man, do you plan on a skimmer or sump/fuge? Any reef down the line?
Old 05-24-2006, 02:37 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

$255 for a 75 gal tank and stand sounds pretty reasonable.

Have you or your son considered the Kole Tang or Bristletooth Tang?

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
Old 05-24-2006, 03:54 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

we will look into those tangs.. my son has done all kinds of reports on tangs so I am the one crash coursing hehehe.

now that we have the 75 gallon I def would like to get a good light and try for the reef tank. I know its more expensive to start but cheaper in the long run. so I need the water the salt a heater and I need to order some live rock... do I need a certain amount of water in the tank before adding live rock also good salinity levels as well right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc118
Sweet man, do you plan on a skimmer or sump/fuge? Any reef down the line?
Which is better I read Micah's post and figured I should go with the HOB skimmer... Price is not a HUGE object I want whatever would be best for some beginners and will help my soon to be fish thrive and live long lives.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:15 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alverez your LFS is def giving you Old School advice and tecwzrd is giving out some good advice. Read, read and read more before jumping in with both feet.
If you plan on corals then take things real slow and plan on spending around $30-50 per gallon on the set up. SW is not a cheap hobby and if you want a nice tank you will have to spend some money.
A skimmer is a must have on a reef. Also a RO/Di unit may be something you will need of your tap water is not up to par.
Its good to see you here asking questions... IMO a Hippo in a 75 long term is not a good idea especially for a new reefer. These fish are Ich magnets and can become sick and infect the whole tank. So if you really want one you should wait till the tank is mature and you are comfortable with the tank.
keep asking questions....

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:50 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

The thing I really need to know... I am reading like crazy trying to learn and gonna get the book as well. However I am confused... How do you add the stuff to your tank? Do you add the sand then a certain amount of water then add the dechlorinator then add the live rock? Or do you add the sand and live rock and then add the water then the dechlorinator etc...

I was worried about adding the water then the LR and having too much... perhaps I fill it 1/3 ?

Any help is appreciated... Thanks guys! I am learning lots!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com