Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Finally got my first tank started

Got my first salt water tank set up today. 20 gallon. Live sand, base rock, Hydor koralia 240 and for now, a Hob filter. I think I'll get rid of the HOB and get another koralia for the other side. What do you think ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank 007.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	199463  

Old 09-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Adding another powerhead might be ok depending what types of corals you plan to keep, but I wouldnt remove the HOB filter unless you have another filter method such as a sump or wet/dry setup.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is going to be a fish only tank for now. would one powerhead and the hob be enough ? Also, I have a skimmer to put in after my cycle finishes.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank looks good.I agree, you still need the hob or another type of filtration along with the second power head.Live rock is a good filter but it needs help getting rid of waste and keeping the ammonia and and nitrites down.If you don't want an hob the other options are a canister,an underwater filter or, as czwicky mentioned,a sump.A sump is underneath you tank and it can hold your equipment,filter your water and add water volume.There is also the Berlin method of filtration. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/berlin...of-filtration/
Here's an article from the site explaining a sump: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/sumps-explained/
Good luck!i
Criptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

i wouldnt bother with the hob filter they need a lot of maintenance to stop them building nitrates imo i'd buy a protein skimmer will help your tank a lot more
Old 09-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looks nice
Old 09-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

hob filters are not "nitrate factories" i have a 36g bow front fowlr with a topfin 75 dual output hob filter and all it takes is swapping filters with water changes and your golden, for atnk that size (nano) you need a hob for mechanical filtration (water polishing) you dont need a skimmer for a tank that size either, invest in a good hob filter and add another powerhead and youll be good with weekly water changes, your live rock with do the biological filtration for you, your on track dont worry.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just out of interest what extra benefit would water polishing do than skimming? The skimmer will remove organic mater from the water and is usually a Key part of the Berlin filtration method to my understanding?
Old 09-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody390 View Post
Just out of interest what extra benefit would water polishing do than skimming? The skimmer will remove organic mater from the water and is usually a Key part of the Berlin filtration method to my understanding?
dont get me wrong, it works wonders, but for such a small tank and it being fowlr for now a skimmer isnt needed with a good hob filter and light feedings and a good cuc, he'll have a healthy system, if he wanted to make it a reef and add corals and higher experience level fish he could always add a hob skimmer later on if thats the case, but for his setup now a good hob paired with the powerheads is a great setup for a 20g tall.

with a topfin 20 hob and 2 koralia 240 ph's he'll have a 29x water turn which is ok for a fowlr.

with a topfin 30 hob and 2 koralia 240 ph's he'll have a 31.5x water turn, which is great.

with a topfin 40 hob and 2 koralia 240 ph's he'll have a 34x water turn which is even better.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for all the info.
I already purchased an aquaticlife 115 internal skimmer so I will still use it. More the better...right ?

Tags
fin, first tank, star, start, started, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com