Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #101
AA Team Emeritus

How many males of the 4 wrasses? I haven't read the earlier posts from this thread, but are they carpenter fairy wrasses? One of my favorites.

Also, you got the tank covered with something. Ya know, they will jump easily. But it's a good thing no newcomers other than a goby or something is planned. They won't likely spook the wrasses.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #102
Aquarium Advice Regular

As of right now, no confirmed males. I'm reasonably sure I've got two females, the other two I'm just not so sure on. I purchased a total of 4 small juveniles/females based mostly on size. Honestly, they seem a little bit on the large side since they were suppose to be between 1 and 1.75 inches, but /shrug, could just be me.

They are actually Red Tail Flasher Wrasses (Paracheilinus rubricaudalis) from Drs Foster and Smith. I'd actually waffled pretty hard on which species I wanted to get (I think I've actually wanted each of them at one point or another) it finally came down to a simple mater of watching a male McCosker flashing in the display tank in my LFS. Then I found out that almost no one seems to EVER have female flashers... much less female McCoskers. This led me to try taking a risk on the DrsF&S order since I'd had my LFS looking for females for me since I got my tank set up about 2 and a half months or so ago.

For gobies, I'd like to find either a Amblyeleotris or preferably, a Stonogobiops. My dream would be to actually find a pair of Dracula gobies with a pistol shrimp, but I'll probably just get a Hi-Fin type, either the black fin or the yasha, depending on what I can find.

As far as covers go, I've been using egg crate. I'm kind of hoping that the high amount of current in the upper part of my tank helps to dissuade them from jumping since atm they theoretically might fit through the holes if they were flawless in their aim.

One quick question though, I'm looking for advice on food and feeding. Right now I'm feeding twice a day, before and after work (about 8 hours in between). I've started feeding Omega One's "First Flake" in the morning and I generally feed frozen mysis in the evening since I have the time to thaw out the cube without totally forgetting to feed in the rush to get ready... or going to work smelling like seafood. (BTW, cause I know the question would be asked, Yes, I thaw the mysis in a container of tank water and then rinse it off in a net with a little tank water before feeding.

I've been using the first flake for a few reasons. The first reason is that it's suppose to be a good introductory food for new fish. The second reason is that it's a high fat food (which according to one of the articles on wetwebmedia, "Fat content should ideally be below 10% to avoid fatty liver disease, except in the case of juvenile fish, which require fat as an immediate energy source in order to spare the much-needed protein for building muscle.") I don't actually know if it's true or not, but I feel that right now it can't hurt to much. Finally, and the worst reason of all... my LFS gave it to me for free. They apparently get a large container of it free with every order so they've been using it as cricket food and said if I wanted to try it they'd give me all I wanted from a fresh canister. The owner also has a huge box of the Omega One marine flake with garlic that he's going to let me have some of to try (I really wanted the pellets of it, but I'll try the free flake first.) Anyway, I'm sure it's a huge factional can of worms, but I just figured I'd pose the question to any of y'all out there with exp with flasher wrasses.

(man, i gotta make some fish friends in RL to talk to... my posts are way longer than they need to be.) :p

Old 09-20-2009, 07:58 AM   #103
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
(man, i gotta make some fish friends in RL to talk to... my posts are way longer than they need to be.)
No you don't! Why do you think we are here? Just slip in a few pics and no one will mind.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:30 AM   #104
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here's your bribe then!
FTS, lets play a game... find the new corals!

Here's one! It's a Montipora digitata (orange)

Here's another! It's Green Zoa's!

OOOOOH, I found one! Nope, sorry, that's the same Montipora digitata (purple) that was in the tank already, it just got moved to make way for the new guys, but he doesn't seem to mind one bit!

Not like Mr Acropora kirstyae, he's still grumpy that he lost his spot to someone else, even if he might be in a better place! Don't worry, we'll find him a nice place somewhere if he doesn't like this one.

Oh look, there's our old friends Xenia,

Nephthea (Neon Green Palau),

and zoa's pink'n tall!

Wonder where the rest of them could be!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #105
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is that a new coral? Nope, it's the little pink zoa gang and they've all had hair cuts after a visit from Mr Mantis Shrimp.

OH, I found one, I'm SURE of it! Yup, that's Mr. Montipora capricornis who was an offer you couldn't refuse. He just needs to find a good home.

Oh, and there's the last one! Mrs Pavona maldivensis hiding down at the bottem. She's kind of weird and no one seems to know her well, she must not get out much. Lets hope she'll be our friend!

Sorry about the weird post, I spent most of the day looking after a bunch of kids so it just "felt" like the right way to phrase everything. =P Not much has changed with the GSP and the shrooms and I'm not really worried about tracking their growth like I am the stonyes and the others so I don't often take pics of them anymore.

Likewise, I had just fed about 15 mins before so the fish were pretty much done with me. They are such diva's. They bicker amongst themselves a bit, but if I get near the tank they are all happy hungry little pig-tailed girls until I feed them. Then once the food is gone and their little bellies are full they kick me to the curb and go back to weaving in an outta the rocks... UNLESS I have the camera. You'd think I was paparazzi from the way they hide when I get out the camera. One is definitely on it's way to being a him, but there's still one other that I'm not so sure of. The mystery gender wrasse seems to always take a lighter shade of color than the others except when feeding. It doesn't really seem to be stressed though and it's doesn't seem to be picked on anymore than it picks on any of the others. It just takes a lighter shade of pink across the top of it's body with a bar of the normal red under that and then the white belly. The other two look and act pretty much like females from what I understand. They mostly hide in and around the rockwork on the right side of the tank and don't really venture very far unless it's feeding time. They so far look healthy, good color and so on, but time will tell if I'm stupid or lucky.

Side note... I found a freaking draclua goby for sale the day after I posted about wanting one. Only it doesn't come prepaired with a pistol shrimp so it's easier to resist the urge to buy it. It's gonna be hard to fight it though if I see a pair + shrimp come up on Diver's Den again.

Lemmy know if you guys got any feedback, doubly so if you've got any exp with the Pavona maldivensis from Dr Foster & Smith. I've found all sorts of conflicting info on it, but decided to try it anyway.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #106
AA Team Emeritus

No fun in having flasher wrasses when no one is flashing IMO. The males really look great when they are flashing for the females. See if you can find one, and you'll see some really beautiful displays. Good that the females are in there first if you were to add a male.

On the feeding, watch those nitrates. Twice a day feeding is asking for trouble IMO. Flakes add nitrates so I've heard. Try some frozen brine or myisis (rinsed in FW - that frozen cube is FULL of nitrates), mixed with some vegetable matter, and soaked in Garlic Guard and Zoe. Once a day. heck, I've gotten my fish to deal with every other day without a problem.

On the food mixture, I used a small tupperware container and made up enuf for 5 or so days and kept it in the fridge.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 09-21-2009, 01:21 PM   #107
is back to save the day!

Ratrik, what kind of Xenias you got there? They look like my pumping Xenia.. is that what those are?? Just want to see if those are the ones i have, because "supposedly" i bought "pom pom xenias" but last time i checked.. pom pom xenias are supposed to be white.. and mine aren't.. they look just like yours. Hence, why i think they are pumping xenias.. Or pulsing... whichever lol.

Austinsdad, lol, i do the same thing. I rip all of the frozen food out of its cube packaging, throw it all in a container and then let it melt blah blah blah.. and then throw it back in the freezer. Isn't so much easier that way? Then having to brake out teh cubes everytime you need to feed yer fish. lol.

Ratrik, if you don't already know, which im sure you do, don't forget to rinse your food in ro water, if it is frozen.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:35 AM   #108
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice bribe Ratrik! I like it! Nice new corals looking forward to tracking them. BTW your mushies do they kinda go purple/blue depending on how you look at them? Cause if they do they might be the same as the mushies my LFS is fragging specially for me. I love my LFS. 3000L DT at the front of the store. IT'S FREAKING INSANE!!! I go there for random things every weekend just so I can check it out.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:21 AM   #109
Aquarium Advice Regular

OK, well my computer crapped out on me today so no pics of the fish tonight like I'd hoped to get. Really stinks cause they were really hamming it up tonight. I did however learn something, I'm 99% sure that I have a male now. The one I've been suspecting was a male for some time now spent almost an hour zooming around the top part of the tank flushed with color and flaring it's fins. Every so often, one of the others would zoom up to him, flair it's fins a bit (though none seemed to have the elongated dorsal ray I would expect from a sparing male) they would circle and then dash into their hiding holes in the rock. If this isn't flashing behavior, I'm scared to see what is. The funny part is that my first impression of the male flaring it's fins was "It's like a Betta on speed!"

As far as feeding, I'll probably feed some frozen stuff on the weekends cause it's just far to easy for me to set the cube aside to thaw and then forget to feed it before work or bed. I've heard it actually go both ways on rising frozen foods, 95% of people to say to rinse, but I've also been hearing more people saying that the "juice" is actually a good food for corals and filter feeders or at least helps to train the coral to feed in the daytime. When I've fed frozen, I normally rinse, but I may play around with it a bit to see what happens. I'm actually worried I might not have enough algae now for my snails and hermits.

At the moment, I'm feeding the flake very VERY sparingly. When I got it from the pet store it came from a big tub so the flakes are HUGE, about the size of a coaster or coffee saucer. I generally break off a piece about the side of an US quarter then grind it up in the palm of my hand. I then put it in an old fish food container blast it with a squirt or two of water then quickly suck it up in the turkey baster and squirt it into the tank. It's generally gone within a minute but I rarely feed anymore at one time because they never seem interested after the first little bit of feeding. So far I've not noticed any raise in nitrates or ammonia but I've only had these about a week now. =P I'm actually more worried about phosphates since it seems almost every flake and most dry foods seem to have them in some form.

My Xenia is actually Heteroxenia from Dr Foster & Smith. Supposedly, the way to tell is that the Hetero's have smaller polyps between the larger ones. I honestly don't know to much about Xenia's as it was kind of an impulse purchase (was only like $15 or $20) and the more research I did the more confused I became. I actually specifically didn't want the "pom pom xenia" because I don't like white corals (I feel that white clashes pretty hard with the other colors in a tank, that and I've always wondered how do you tell if something white has bleached and is dieing). I also didn't like that fact that the polyps are kind of puffy looking reminded me to much of dandelions that had gone to seed or something similar.

I wouldn't say that my mushrooms change color based on how you look at them... though I've never really paid much attention to them. Yeah, I know it sounds weird to have something you're only mildly interested in, but I mostly wanted them for nostalgic reasons. I remember reading articles back in the late 80s early 90s about "Coral you can actually keep!" What I have noticed is they change color based on how much light they are getting. The less light they get, the more they seem to expand, when they expand the amount of pigment is spread out causing them to change color. I'll try to get some pics of what they look like when they are closed up (where they are almost a "pepsi" blue, but the biggest ones shrink to the size of a dime) vs what they look like without the MH's kicking in (deep bruise purple, almost red and probably 2 inches across).

I'm still trying to convince my LFS to put in a display tank because right now they only have their livestock tanks. It fluctuates between beautiful and down right sad depending on how recently they've put in an order. Thats the problem with a small town pet store, they can't keep stuff on hand that isn't for sale so they rarely even have any live rock in their tanks.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #110
AA Team Emeritus

Yep. Correction, Flake foods = phosphates.

Also, I strongly recommend going with the 95% who rinse their frozen food cubes.

On the xenia, if your tank likes it, Try to make sure it is situated high in the tank. It'll spread like crazy and grow straight up and encroach on your other corals if you've got it low. I prefer the pom pom since it does not grow and spread VERY quickly like the elongata (more brownish) variety.

Tags
started, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com