Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2009, 07:35 AM   #111
Aquarium Advice Regular

Finally managed to snag a couple of pics of the flashers, well, at least the one I think is a male.

Lost a lot of the color on the second pic, but it took almost 2 hours to get one that was more than a really pretty blur. For all I know it's just a yawn cause most of the time the color really is much brighter. It may also have to do with the fact I'm having to use the "sports" setting on my camera to get any kind of a pic of the fish.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:36 AM   #112
AA Team Emeritus

Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse

A couple of write-ups for you to read. Interesting that if you buy a group of females, the dominant one likely turns inito a male. Your pic still looks like a female to me, but I'm not sure. Looks like the carpenter's flasher wrasse you have. I'm used to the males having more of a spike in that top fin. Awesome color when he's excited.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #113
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice fish..Not bad pictures either...
Old 09-24-2009, 02:53 AM   #114
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice Flashers. My 6-Line does that too. Kinda raises it's fins and opens it mouth. Looks cool.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:03 PM   #115
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok, minor update time... mostly cause I'm bored at work atm. Today makes about 4 weeks that I've had the flasher's with no signs of anything odd, so I guess I may have dodged a bullet on them.

I've lost my first coral though, the acro died out. Went from normal to totally white in 3 days. The purple Monti hasn't been looking to good lately, so I moved it back to it's old spot once the acro was toast. The orange monti is still about the same, the only difference is that the tips don't seem to be as white anymore. The Monti caps not been looking so good lately so i'll probably try moving that around. The pavona is anyone's guess, it looks like it might have lost a little color (it's more of a light neon green", but it seems to be a little "furrier" with more of the little green "nubs" I've still not seen anything that I was absolutely sure was a polyp though. Guess that's what happens when you try your luck with stonies before you're really truely ready.

The zoa's, nephthea, mushrooms, and the xenia's are all doing well. The xenia's actually split up into about 5 colonies. I think the zoa's are starting to spread more since I had to break up the colonie. As for the mushrooms... I saw one behaving really weird the other night, for lack of a better explination, it looked like it had expelled it's "guts" which were waving from it's mouth. Only one's done this and only once. My only thought was that it could be because I was feeding the tank at the time and I hadn't bothered to check things out first. The nephthea's doing better than expected even though I found it had been shoved off the rocks by one of the hermits. I was mildly annoied to find this out because that's one of the only frags I'd epoxied to the rock, so I guess it didn't stick.

The green star polyps gave me no end of trouble a few weeks back. They went from lush open lawn to closed with no polyps showing in 2 days. After watching it for another day I found a nudi on it. Pulled the colony out, pulled the nudi off and nuked it. Took about another week and a half before the colony started to open again, but now it's back to it's good old self.

Anyway, that's about all thats gone on... I'll try to post pics soon if anyone's still following this thread.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #116
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good to hear that most things are doing fine. Try sticking the monti's about 1/2 way-3/4 of the way up the rock and see if you get better results. Check the water params to see if they are the problem.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:21 PM   #117
Aquarium Advice Addict

some of us are still following it, if only just to see the pics
Old 10-11-2009, 06:15 AM   #118
Aquarium Advice Regular

OK time for pics.
First off, FTS

The orange Montipora digitata

The Green Zoa's (not actually sure if that's growth, or if they've gotten moved around a bit since the last pic.

I moved the purple Montipora digitata cause it wasn't looking so hot. It's now a little higher and a little more under the MHs

The Xenia's happy as ever, it's now split into 4 colonies on the main rock and 1 still on the frag plug. Hoping to yank the plug this weekend to give to one of the guys at my LFS who got me started with Saltwater.

The Nephthea (Neon Green Palau), this corals kind of odd, it takes a long time to "wake up", but once the lights have been on for an hour or two it kicks in and looks a lot better than it does in this pic.

The big pink zoas look pretty good, they are eatting hearty when I feed the tank and look like they have sprouted a few new polyps, but they are in places that are hard to photograph.

The little pink zoas have done well too. They get fed about once a week + any little bits of flake they can catch. I think the "fragging" to get the mantis shrimp out helped to spur their growth.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:38 AM   #119
Aquarium Advice Regular

I didn't get a pic of the Monti Cap cause when i pulled off the PC fixture to add some top off water I realized that it was almost totally outside the range of the MH bulbs, so I cut off the stem of the frag plug and moved it to a better spot.

The odd thing is the Pavona maldivensis. It also is totally out of the range of the MH bulbs as well as being down at the bottom of the tank. That being said, it almost looks like it might actually be doing "better" than when I got it. You be the judge though.
Before:

Now:

Dr's F&S has this to say about it:
"These unusual Pavona Corals are a rarely seen encrusting type of Pavona. The parent colony of these coral frags was collected in Fiji on the outside of the reef at a depth of about 100 feet and then quarantined and given a health inspection before being propagated. These Pavona Corals prefer a low to moderate light level. Placement under an overhang is recommended if metal halide lighting is used. The Sunburst Pavona will turn a bright orange to red coloration if put low in the tank under 20k metal halide lighting. The Screamin Green Pavona will turn a bright green if put low in the tank under 20k metal halide lighting. Strong intermittent water current within the aquarium is needed. For continued good health, it will also require the addition of a two part calcium and buffer supplement in order to maintain a calcium level of 400-450 ppm and dKH of 8-12. It will benefit from the addition of zooplankton."

All in all, I'm hoping my stonies make it since I'm now realizing that what I thought was coralline growth before was just the coralline growing back on the rock. NOW I'm seeing the rampant coralline on anything and everything plastic. I now understand why I read a guide about DIY liverock that recommended to cover the still wet rocks with some kind of inert plastic shavings as well as sand. While I wouldn't do it... it makes more sense now.

Also, any recomendations on 150 watt double ended MH bulbs, I can't make heads or tails out of Sanjay's info because I'm honestly not sure how to read the data. I heard someone recommend the 14,000K Pheonix 150watts as having some of the highest PAR values for a 150 HQI double end bulb, but just curious if anyone can give me any input on this as I just got my PFD money so I've gotta little extra to spend.

Thanks for the input guys!

<edit> Forgot to add in a pic of my accidental frag. When I ordered the orange monti from Dr's F&S I was actually really disappointed in it's packaging. Unlike ever other coral I'd ordered from them, it didn't come banded to a block of foam and floating in the water. Instead it was just placed loose in the bag of water. Well, one of the fingers had broken off and was loose in the bag. Not being one to just waste a free "frag" I dripped it with the rest of the corals and placed it in a safe spot till i could get some super glue. Unfortunately, I forgot about it for a few days. When I did remember I actually had to hunt around the LR looking for it cause the current and the crabs had moved it. So I got some gel super glue (hate this stuff), broke off a piece of the dry rock I still had laying around, glued it up, and had myself a nice looking frag... that I was sure would most likely be dead any day now. Well, that was 3 weeks ago, and as of right now, its looking like this.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:07 AM   #120
Aquarium Advice Addict

"Pavona maldivensis, found at an outside reef at a depth of about 100 feet". That would make it a deep water coral and having it down in your tank makes sense.

Tags
started, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com