Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2009, 02:49 AM   #11
is back to save the day!

Yeah please!! I want to see alot of pictures from this tank!! It totally has great potential.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Week 4

Not much has changed. I took the strainers off my powerheads cause I wasn't really happy with the flow. woke up the next morning to find a lovely crater in the middle of my tank where the streams intersected and apparently plunged straight down. It actually made me laugh so hard my wife wanted to know what was wrong... I just had to look at her and say "I crossed the streams!" Thankfully she got the Ghostbusters ref and joined me in laughing at my crater. I adjusted the powerheads and tried to back fill the crater, but didn't do that great of a job so now i have a dune in the middle of my tank. Other than that, the only other change has been to remove the surface skimmer box from my protien skimmer because i think my pump is to powerful for it since that side of the skimmer wouldn't skim at all. I'll probably put it back mounted a lot lower or try to mod it to increase the amount of spill over since it actually did help get all the gunk off the surface of the water.

I've been doing my testing on Sundays and Wednesdays since it works best with my work schedule.
Current Readings as of the 26th were:
pH 8.4 (pH and Alk have been very stable)
Alk approx 2.00 milli equaivants per liter (not exactly sure how to interpret this, but the kit says natural seawater is about 2.5)
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrite 0.05ppm
Nitrate (I don't test for nitrate yet as i've heard that nitrites can mess up the readings)
Salinity 1.024
Will try to update this later today when I do my Wednesday test followed by my LFS double check.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Still looks great!
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:00 PM   #14
is back to save the day!

It really does, i want to have something like that except like a larger version since i have a 55G. But honestly, i love that aquascaping. Extremely nice. You did a wonderful job. I really cant wait to see this tank progress.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #15
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It looks pretty good.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

really nice scaping. looks good.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

like everyone else has said. looks really unique. and as someone else mentioned, the arch looks amazing. cant wait to see what it looks like as a finished product
Old 07-29-2009, 10:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just got back from the LFS, had them double check my readings:
pH both said about 8.4-8.5
Alk still around 2.00 milli equiv per liter, LFS couldn't test as theirs had expired since it's not a normal test they run.
Ammonia - both tests said less than 0.25, closer to the zero color than to the 0.25 but we decided to err on the side of caution.
Nitrite mine said it was about 0.05, theirs said 0
Nitrate their kit said 0, I still haven't tested for this because I was lazy and didn't wanna clean the test tubes twice. Figure my cheato and the other algae might be chewing it up as fast as it's made though.
Salinity my refractometer said 1.024, theirs said 1.025... but i just added top off water so i should probably go check that again in a bit...

Funny part is now the main saltwater guy and the owner are almost as excited as I am cause we can finally start ordering fish for me. Keep in mind, I live in Alaska so their current stock is pretty limited (oddly it tends to be flashy questionably-hardy fish like moorish idols and such) and they only do orders every two to four weeks. So it will probably be another month or so before i get my first fish... and even then, i plan to QT it for a month.

Also went by the hardware store. Got some pieces i needed for the fuge I'm making. I hope it works, i'm making it out of one of thouse old cheapo plastic 5gal desktop tanks you find for sale at like walmart. I plan to drill the back and instal a pair of 3/4ths inch bulkheads for the input and output. It will be fed from the main display by a minijet 606 and then gravity feed back into the display since I just happen to have a really nice cabinet next to my aquarium thats about 6 inchs or so taller than my tank and it should hold the weight of a little fiver easy. To light it, I got a Model: 1147TR - Sun Light Desk Lamp. I also picked up some 20gal brute trash cans and their coasters for use in mixing extra saltwater.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

8/4/09

Time for the weekly picture update. Not much has changed other than me playing around with my powerheads a bit. I got tired of dealing with the shifting sand dune and I noticed it was serving as a make shift ramp for the current to blow sand up and onto some of the higher rock shelves. I was considering getting an Ocean Pulse Wavemaker, but as I played around I pointed both powerheads at each other which caused some really weird/cool surging flows that are also interacting with the output from the skimmer.

Oh, and an angled view so you can see the cave that's under the arch.

Oh, and I haven't added any coral, I just plundered the frag tank at my LFS for skeletons of corals they had that didn't make it. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up the tube worm they've been holding for me as a kind of test animal.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #20
is back to save the day!

Seriously, i love your tank. What kind of live rock do you have in there. I may have asked this question already but oh well. Is it tonga?

Tags
started, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com