Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-07-2009, 01:12 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks great!

Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:15 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very nice, I would find a shell or something like that to anchar your tubeworm down to. You might even stick it in the sand. My duster is wedged into a shell and it grew straight up from there.
Here you see my Clarkii clown hosting with the Hawaiian duster and the duster coming straight out of the seashell/

Old 08-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Regular

Funny thing about my dusters is that when i finally plunked 'em down in the tank... i couldn't remember which end was which. I figured the end with the lighter color to the tube was the "head", but one of them had two ends like that (I think it's actually two worms that are either in the same tube or who's tubes grew together at some point). I figured they wouldn't come out for a day or two because of how much they'd been disturbed so I decided to take a shower. Sure enough, when i get out of the shower, all three worms are peeking out, but I didn't want to put my hands back in the tank for fear of still having soap on me. After work today I gently wedged the dusters under some small rocks at diff points in the tank. One seems happy, but i haven't seen one since this morning and the other since yesterday.

My snails seem a little odd too, two of them don't seem like they've moved, but i don't think they are sick or dead cause they are in some of the highest flow areas of the tank (my wife says they can't move cause their hanging on for dear life).

My package finally came with my bulkheads and other parts for my refugium, but I'm probably not gonna get the plumbing finished till my days off. Here's a pic to give an idea of where it is in relation to my tank.

Figure I'd show a pic of my extra LR tank. It's just a standard 10g. It's pretty boring stuff though.

Spikey asked to see my "centerpeice" in my living room... woundn't it figure that as soon as I pull some of the rock out to use in my fuge someone wants to see it. =P Well, here's what's left of it. Oh, excuse the mess... my "living room" also doubles as my workshop due to lack of other space.

Finally... figured i would show off two pics of my freshwater tank too while i'm at it... if you look close, you can see my pride and joy (my vampire shrimp) in the lower left hand corner.

Sorry about the off topic nature of some of this post, but I was bored and playing with the camera. =P
Old 08-07-2009, 08:28 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice thincat. I wish my Black Ocellaris would get in my freakin' BTA. My previous one did (before it's sad demise from ich) and the black and white looked great against the purple tips and white and pink of the anenome.
ratrik: That aquascape looks AWESOME!!! I played around with mine as well. (Wanted a ledge for shadow effect). It's fun too lol. I was having arguements with my Mum over every little movement.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

TC, thats an awesome shot and a really cool worm (never thought I'd be so excited about a worm before)!

Ratrik, the tank looks great as I said before but I was laughing because you were afraid to put your hand in the tank and thats happened to me so many times because I had washed my hands or something, but with me, I put my hand in the tank and then freaked out, lol, I dont think it is that bad though =)
Old 08-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

A little bit on safety.Be aware that lots of saltwater animals are very poisonest. Zoanthus polyps are some of the deadliest of them. Be careful and wash your hands after any work in your tank. Just make it a good habit and you will avoid problems. If you have pets be sure they don't eat anything you may drop on the floor..same goes for children...
Old 08-08-2009, 07:30 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Regular

So a funny thing happened while I was at work. I went to bed on Thursday night with a small crop of what I've been assuming was hair algae in the lower right hand corner of my tank. By the time i get home from work late Friday night I glance in the tank and just happen to notice... the hair algae is GONE. I don't mean mowed down, I mean GONE, like it wasn't ever there. Now truthfully, I'm not sure this stuff "was" hair algae, it was green tufts with kind of soft feathery looking strands that were about an inch in length and all came from a single point on the rock. I'm not sure it was "hair" algae though cause I had another patch of it in the lower right hand corner that i had tried to pluck to take to my LFS as a sample and they hadn't seen anything like it. The funny thing is that I had actually been "saving" that patch of algae with the intent of letting it grow in my fuge. I was of the opinion that if it would grow in the main tank it would grow in the fuge where it would be easier to harvest for nutrient export and if it did turn into a big stringy mess it wouldn't matter cause it's not in the focal point of the tank, and since it had been there since about a week after i set up the tank i figured it wasn't gonna go away on it's own. For the record, I think I know what did it, since the "snails" still haven't moved far, as i was scanning the tank looking for any signs that the algae has just "come loose" I noticed chitons and/or stomatella snails (think there are few of each) in a few places around the tank. I think the funniest part of the whole thing was the ghost voice of the forums in the back of my head wispering "Nothing good happens quickly..."
Old 08-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good job so far, i like the tank.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh my God, you're in for it.XD...not...How wide were the "leaves" on that algae?
Old 08-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Regular

my guess... less than 1/8th of an inch wide, very feathery looking, just wish my camera would take nice close up pics.

Tags
started, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com