Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

what kind of camera are you using?

Old 08-08-2009, 07:35 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratrik13 View Post
my guess... less than 1/8th of an inch wide, very feathery looking, just wish my camera would take nice close up pics.
It might be a featherduster or tubeworm of some sort and it has withdrawn back into it's homein the rock. Hard to say without a picture.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:04 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Regular

My wife has actually lost "my" camera somewhere so I'm having to use our video camera which is a DigiLife DDV-1080HD. At least I think that's what it's called, it was a gift.

As for them possibly being featherdusters or tubeworms... I kind of highly doubt it cause I would assume that dusters or tubeworms would pop up from the Fiji LR or the sand bed which were about the only places it wouldn't grow. It only poped up on the "dry" rock I had in the tank. Well, I guess thats not true cause it started first on the glass, but I would scrape or pluck it almost daily and I cut back on my lighting.

I changed it to about 6 hours on a single 96watt antic, about 2 hours with 14k 96watt PC and 1 hour with my 14k 150watt MH burning (that was before it started to grow on the rock). I use to do this all the time with my freshwater planted tanks because I believe that if you give plants and algae to much light they will strip the ammonia from the tank faster than the bacteria can. I also feel that it's bad to pretty much black out the tank (unless as a last resort) because the plants uptake of ammonia helps to modirate the spikes in the cycle or in an established tank the bacteria may not be able to handle it. I have since doubled my light, but have it broken up into two light cycles that were about 6 hours apart and i've slowly worked them back together an hour at a time each week or so.

I was talking to one of the guys at my LFS and his only idea as to what might have happened was that my pods finally had a population boom and they wiped out the easiest food source in the tank first. Anyway, here's a pic of the tank. =P

Old 08-09-2009, 05:15 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, it's turning out very nice. You have alot to look forward tol.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:59 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well good luck and the tank looks great!
Old 08-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you mean nitrates not ammonia take up, but I get the idea so yes on varying the light source. besides it is more natual. I run my 4x54wT-5's for 13 hours on a timer and have very little to no algae on my front glass. Your tank will settle in on it's own balance once it matures.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Regular

I can't find a good source for documentation atm cause I'm to tired to think, but with freshwater plants at least, ammonia is "suppose" to be the prefered source of nitrogen. With saltwater, /shrug, i have no idea, this is a whole new ballgame for me.

I've been wet testing my fuge and i found a kind of odd charactoristic of it. The way my current freshwater wet test is going, my pump pushes in enough water for it to overflow and trickle down into the return line. However, the pump pushes faster than water is flowing out untill it covers the return opening and creates a true siphon. This in turn pulls water out of the fuge faster than the pump is pushing it in untill it breaks the siphon. So i guess I've built some sort of hybrid fuge/surge device... now if i could just get it to stop leaking...

I've had one minor setback this week... my wife actually sat and watched the tank for a bit and saw the pods... her response was "OMG! IT'S CUTE!" Now i come home and she's watching the pods "playing" on the rocks. So I've had to explane to her that pods are friends, AND food. Needless to say, she's now a little less eager for me to start adding fish, but she's now super behind the 5g "pod playground" (fuge) that's gonna be sitting high up in the living room in full view.

Oh, I need help guys... I need to be talked out doing something possibly stupid. I'm super tempted to try adding some zoas and shrooms, I was actually tempted to try something else embarrassingly stupid, but i've since managed to talk myself out of it. My nitrates have actually gone down to about 5ppm from 10ppm and I've only done a 5g water change. Mind you, this would probably be in about a week or two since my LFS isn't placing a SW order for a while and rarely keeps anything but fish in stock.

I could also use some help deciding what from my list of fishes I should get first. Keeping in mind that these would probably spend about a month in QT so it would be a bit before they get into the display tank. I'm looking for guidance on what order to add these to try and avoid territorial disputes as I add newer fish. Just to have the whole thing out there, I'll post my list of species I'm interested in, I broke it up into groups with what i want first followed by substitutions (just to be clear, i don't want ALL of these, just one species from each group):

Pair of
Pterapogon kauderni - Banggai Cardinal

Trio or quartet of
Ptereleotris zebra - Zebra Barred Dartfish
Only if paired:
Ptereleotris evides - Scissortail Dartfish
Nemateleotris magnifica - Firefish
Nemateleotris decora - Purple Dartfish

Single or Pair (probably single)
Gobiodon atrangulatus - Clown Goby, Green
Gobiodon citrinus - Clown Goby, Lemon

Ideally, a pair and bonded with pistol shrimp
Cryptocentrus cinctus - Yellow Watchman Goby
Stonogobiops nematodes - Hi Fin Red Banded Goby

Trio or Quartet of:
Paracheilinus carpenteri - Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
Paracheilinus mccoskeri - McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
or just about any small fasher wrasse

Single
Ecsenius stigmatura - Tail Spot Blenny
Ecsenius bicolor - Bicolor Blenny

Finally, I hoped someday to get a tang <ducks>... though I've had a devil of a time with this idea since i like the powder brown/white cheek (Acanthurus japonicus/nigricans). It seems like there's no straight answer as to which tang is which and which one is "easier". So I've pretty much come to the realization that it's probably not gonna happen, which is probably a good thing.

If this would be overstocked, please, tell me. Right now the only advice that I seem to be able to get on this comes from my one of the guys at my LFS and having seen his tank, I can't help but feel like he overstocks his own system (for the record, his system IS nice). Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 65g DT and I am pushing it with 6 fish. If you max out your tank with fish you won't have any room to expand to corals. I guess all in do time. Remember that most fish that you purcase will be in the small group size so allow for growth.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:26 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Regular

Figured I'd post a quick pic of my fuge. So far so good... only annoying thing is that it's functioning as both a fuge and a surge tank atm. this kind of sucks cause it's dumping a lot more micro bubbles into my tank, but I love what it's done to my flow. Will have to wait and see what it does overall though.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's all looking good. Pictures, pictures and more pictures is what I want!

Tags
started, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com