Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2004, 02:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari
You kinda have to add something after the cycle finishes otherwise it was all pretty pointless. Those bacteria need a constant supply of ammonia to keep up in numbers. If you wait a few months to add fish then you'll just be cycling again IMO.
LR, inverts, etc. and proper lighting should prevent that. There should be enough life on your LR to sustain.
There's no LR

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 02:37 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

That sounds good to me. I am a fan of the Emperor 400. I have used it in the past and it does a good job. Keep the pics coming.

Old 06-11-2004, 02:50 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

I like the spot in yoru house as well. One thing I spotted though... is that your thermostat on the wall next to it? Depending on what lighting you go with as your tank grows, you could end up with a bit of heat being put off by your tank. That could skew your thermostats performance some. Of course, being in Houston, that will just mean your AC may be on a little more than necessary.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:30 PM   #14
steve-s

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan
Quote:
You kinda have to add something after the cycle finishes otherwise it was all pretty pointless. Those bacteria need a constant supply of ammonia to keep up in numbers. If you wait a few months to add fish then you'll just be cycling again IMO.
LR, inverts, etc. and proper lighting should prevent that. There should be enough life on your LR to sustain.
There's no LR
Even if the rock was "live", unless there is a degree of die off, there would still need to be an ammonia source to sustain the bacteria for that long. A few weeks might be okay but not a few months. Inverts process wastes, they do not create them. Even if you feed the tank small amounts once or twice a week that will help.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-11-2004, 06:45 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

For what it's worth, the rock had been in a storage bin in the previous owners garage for at least a year so I'm pretty sure it's dead. I just laid it all out on the driveway and rinsed it with the hose to get out any loose debris or dust that may have settled in during that time and then allowed it to dry in the sun before putting it in the tank.

Don't forget to check AA Sponsors first.

www.macna2006.com
saberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com