Finally got the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I say fish, I mean one - probably a clown. I don't want to rush things, but if done properly, shouldn't the tank be cycled in about a month? Once the cycle is established, is there any reason not to add a fish?

I added 2 fish 3 days after I set up my tank. At the time I was only going by what the lfs said. They told me after 3 days I could add fish. How stupid was I? Pretty dumb. Anyway not one died. I actually took them back they were very mean damsels.

PS. I know alot better now. :roll:

You kinda have to add something after the cycle finishes otherwise it was all pretty pointless. Those bacteria need a constant supply of ammonia to keep up in numbers. If you wait a few months to add fish then you'll just be cycling again IMO.

Atari said:
You kinda have to add something after the cycle finishes otherwise it was all pretty pointless. Those bacteria need a constant supply of ammonia to keep up in numbers. If you wait a few months to add fish then you'll just be cycling again IMO.

Makes sense to me. Revhtree, I guess you were using the damsels to cycle the tank, unfortunately, that seems to be all to common. I'm glad I came here before the lfs for cycling advice. I plan on trying the dead shrimp method and see how that goes.

With my FW, I just used the Bio-spira live bacteria and was off to the races- what a great product.

Ya the damsels were for cycling. Of course I didnt know that the fish are tortured and cant breath in that water. Fishless is the way to go. Im just glad all my cycle fish made it. :wink:

your tank looks great! I love the cherry stand and hood. What type of filtration did you go with? As for the knick-knacks...wow is that going to be a pain when you need to get in your tank. Hmmmm..."I don't know what happened to them honey, they must have fallen off and broke. Yes, Yes, you are right, I should have been more careful. You look really nice today, can I take you out to dinner?..." Do you have a cat? I blame a lot of stuff on the cat. All kidding aside, looks great and enjoy the start-up...Lando

Atari said:

LR, inverts, etc. and proper lighting should prevent that. There should be enough life on your LR to sustain.

lando said:
your tank looks great! I love the cherry stand and hood. What type of filtration did you go with? As for the knick-knacks...wow is that going to be a pain when you need to get in your tank. Hmmmm..."I don't know what happened to them honey, they must have fallen off and broke. Yes, Yes, you are right, I should have been more careful. You look really nice today, can I take you out to dinner?..." Do you have a cat? I blame a lot of stuff on the cat. All kidding aside, looks great and enjoy the start-up...Lando

Thanks - I'm very pleased myself.
Actually, the knick knacks are not such a big deal because the hood on this tank, unlike my 55gal which has a hinged lid, has 4 rectangles that remove for easy access. The two on the front have recessed handles for quick removal. I told my wife she could put whatever she wanted up there so long as it was not on the front panels. :wink:

I have not bought the filtration yet but I am thinking about going with an Emperor 400 and a protein skimmer (haven't picked one yet) but will probably go on the cheap side - maybe the Red Sea Prizm Delux. I will probably go with a sump later, but for now I am trying to stick with what's comfortable until I get the hang of things. Like bearfan said in another thread, SW mistakes can be costly. I will also get a couple of PH's for circulation. I was debating on going without a substrate but I have talked myself back into about a 3" sand bed. I figured the extra ph buffering was a better trade than ease of cleaning.

Does it sound like I am on the right track?

Bearfan said:
Atari said:

LR, inverts, etc. and proper lighting should prevent that. There should be enough life on your LR to sustain.
There's no LR :wink:

That sounds good to me. I am a fan of the Emperor 400. I have used it in the past and it does a good job. Keep the pics coming.

I like the spot in yoru house as well. One thing I spotted though... is that your thermostat on the wall next to it? Depending on what lighting you go with as your tank grows, you could end up with a bit of heat being put off by your tank. That could skew your thermostats performance some. Of course, being in Houston, that will just mean your AC may be on a little more than necessary. :D

Atari said:
Bearfan said:
Atari said:

There's no LR :wink:
Even if the rock was "live", unless there is a degree of die off, there would still need to be an ammonia source to sustain the bacteria for that long. A few weeks might be okay but not a few months. Inverts process wastes, they do not create them. Even if you feed the tank small amounts once or twice a week that will help. (y)

Cheers
Steve

For what it's worth, the rock had been in a storage bin in the previous owners garage for at least a year so I'm pretty sure it's dead. I just laid it all out on the driveway and rinsed it with the hose to get out any loose debris or dust that may have settled in during that time and then allowed it to dry in the sun before putting it in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom