yeah im really thinking there isnt enough LR
in there. that is my guess. i started with a lot of base rock and seeded it withCured LR
. the base rock is getting the coraline algae and there are worms and little bugs on the base rock now too. i think i need to add more LR
in the tank.
here is some questions i asked and the answer i got from my LFS
Is the live rock rubble alright to put into a canister filter and take out the bioballs/ceramic rings?
They both will do the same type of thing - provide surface area for bacteria to colonise and break down ammonia and nitrite. You could not have any bio-media in the canister and let your live rock in the tank do the breakdown of nitrite into nitrogen gas.
Well what would you recommend. Do you think I just run purigen thru the canister and let my live rock do all the work?? Just use canister for purigen and also for water movement?? I just read (and its probably wrong) that bioballs can increase the level of nitrate if they are not cleaned and Live rock rubble would work better.
Sounds like a good option. The live rock will eventually assist in the breakdown of nitrate into Nitrogen Gas.
I also took out the sponges as I thought they might be leading to my high nitrate and replaced it with bag of purigen
I doubt the sponges will increase Nitrate in a tank. The purigen will assist in removing some low level waste.
Ok then well I might just leave the purigen in and sponges out. They were pretty filthy.
Sounds ok, but I would still like some form of mechanical filtration such as sponge or filter wool to extract larger bits of waste.
With my high nitrate problem would it be an idea to remove the crushed coral as substrate and replace it with live sand??
I wouldn't do this the crushed coral will be assisting in keeping Kh
and pH stable, also as the tank has been running a while it will effect the bacteria level if you were to change this.
ok then. Well how can I get rid of my high nitrate J its driving me insane. Tried water changes and I get nothing.
Time and water changes. The live rock will take some time to grow the bacteria to break down the nitrate. Trust me it will happen. Regular water changes of about 10% will assist in keeping the nitrates at an acceptable level