Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have been using the lights for about 5 months now. Although you will see that I said colors are not as good I am starting to like them more and more. The T5s gave a better water color in my oppinion. But coral growth is way better with the LEDs. If I were to start this tank over I would have went with a 10 bulb T5 fixture. I just like the color more. Don't get me wrong I do like the lights. I do think that if I were to hsve gone crazy with AI or radion lights with more color options I would love them but $12,000 for two fixtures is just to much IMO. On my last tank the T5s I had was just a 4 bulb fixture

Old 08-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

LEDs can have various different colors depending on the LEDs used. Blue and White are one color and how much of each varies the color as well as the intensity or either. I used two of these for a 100 gallon. reefbreeders. Color is pretty good and I have the whites and blues on separate timers. There is also manual dimmers. I like the LEDs because of the natural shimmer effect that is found with natural light.

As far as the drilling goes, I would just drill the top back and "skim" the water off into the sump. Takes less space and creates same effect. Remember to leave space in sump for power outages to take the full drain to the bottom of your drain.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

So Mai drilling where u indicated right below the border, 90 elbow down to the sump should be good? No need for and kind of stand pipe setup? I always see overflow setups or stand pipes with a separate divider with grooves?
Cichlidjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlidjon View Post
So Mai drilling where u indicated right below the border, 90 elbow down to the sump should be good? No need for and kind of stand pipe setup? I always see overflow setups or stand pipes with a separate divider with grooves?
I have that and have seen at the top with just a perforated end piece in the tank with a 90 degree elbow out pipe going into it work quite well and it can be done on both ends so the return can come over the top in the middle too or wherever you would like for flow. Leaves the plumbing out if the tank and the water level stays consistent and quiet. There are overflow boxes too, but this seems the best. I won't personally have a working setup of this until next summer though. Two 40s will drain to a 55 sump then pumped back up. Two drains per and it will actually create more water turnover as well.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I like that idea! Less clutter, hopefully tomorrow I'll post some pics of what I have. I need some clarification on some pumps, what they are and if there any good. I appreciate your help so far!
Old 08-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Check out gl*******s.com they sell kits for drilling your tank. And there boxes only take up like 2
Old 08-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'll do that today. Probably be the next order, that and the skimmer. By the way what skimmer do you use?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use a reef octopus NWB200.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was going to go with a bubble magus. Can't decide between that and an octopus
Old 08-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was going thru the same thing when I was buying

Tags
fin, star, start, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com