Finally I'm starting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlidjon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so 1 month ago I scored a 125 gallon long from craigslist. I'm going to need all the input I can get. This will be a slow build since I'm expecting my 2nd little one in november.... so on to what I have :brows: Besides the 125 long whcih came with a beat up stand, I have a used Red Sea triple pass skimmer, 2 submersible pumps which I believe are mag 9.5's and what looks like an Amiracle sump with bio balls. I've been thinking about building a larger sump myself, what do y'all think? Also I'm not familiar with Red Sea skimmers, should I upgrade? I know, I know a ton of questions but I want to build this right, and I don't mind taking my time to do so!:)

Finally I have on order from BRS a Tunze ato unit, a refractometer, and a 4 stage RO/di unit. Chime in everybody! What do y'all think of what I have so far? My ultimate aim is to have a full on reef, with as many types of corals as I can fit in. The corals are the true focus, the fish the highlight! Any and all help will be appreciated seeing as how this is my first saltwater tank! Sorry for the long story can't wait to hear from everyone!:thanks:

Oh I forgot lol, for whatever it's worth the tank is NOT pre-drilled. I don't have a problem drilling it as long as it's not tempered glass, at least for a drain. Also I just recieved my power heads! 2 wp-40's based on some excellent advice and knowledge from this site!

Since no one seems to care I'll use this to track my progress. Order came in now to start the sump!

I use two LED's like the ones like you were talking about other than they have built in timers. In my build thread you will see how I built my sump using a 40g breeder. Ad well a the lights with a link to them.

Can you set up a thread to your build. I'd like to order the lights this week if possible.

I have been using the lights for about 5 months now. Although you will see that I said colors are not as good I am starting to like them more and more. The T5s gave a better water color in my oppinion. But coral growth is way better with the LEDs. If I were to start this tank over I would have went with a 10 bulb T5 fixture. I just like the color more. Don't get me wrong I do like the lights. I do think that if I were to hsve gone crazy with AI or radion lights with more color options I would love them but $12,000 for two fixtures is just to much IMO. On my last tank the T5s I had was just a 4 bulb fixture

LEDs can have various different colors depending on the LEDs used. Blue and White are one color and how much of each varies the color as well as the intensity or either. I used two of these for a 100 gallon. reefbreeders. Color is pretty good and I have the whites and blues on separate timers. There is also manual dimmers. I like the LEDs because of the natural shimmer effect that is found with natural light.

As far as the drilling goes, I would just drill the top back and "skim" the water off into the sump. Takes less space and creates same effect. Remember to leave space in sump for power outages to take the full drain to the bottom of your drain.

So Mai drilling where u indicated right below the border, 90 elbow down to the sump should be good? No need for and kind of stand pipe setup? I always see overflow setups or stand pipes with a separate divider with grooves?

So Mai drilling where u indicated right below the border, 90 elbow down to the sump should be good? No need for and kind of stand pipe setup? I always see overflow setups or stand pipes with a separate divider with grooves?

I have that and have seen at the top with just a perforated end piece in the tank with a 90 degree elbow out pipe going into it work quite well and it can be done on both ends so the return can come over the top in the middle too or wherever you would like for flow. Leaves the plumbing out if the tank and the water level stays consistent and quiet. There are overflow boxes too, but this seems the best. I won't personally have a working setup of this until next summer though. Two 40s will drain to a 55 sump then pumped back up. Two drains per and it will actually create more water turnover as well.

I like that idea! Less clutter, hopefully tomorrow I'll post some pics of what I have. I need some clarification on some pumps, what they are and if there any good. I appreciate your help so far!

I'll do that today. Probably be the next order, that and the skimmer. By the way what skimmer do you use?

Back
Top Bottom