Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

those acroporas might not last long, but the rest will do fine with that light. try moving the frags as high as possible to the light source so they can get as much light as possible, and try and read up on how to get that mandarin to eat prepared food, if you run out of pods it might stop eatign and starve

Old 10-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh trust me I got the mandarin down. I've been wanting it since I started saltwater FOWLED almost 2 years ago. Did my research. bit thank you.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Holy wow!!! 4-bulb HO with independent timer counters for less than 200 out the door? ?? Think they're worth while brand wise from that site? ?
Old 10-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The fish need it fixture?
Old 10-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes carey.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It would be a good fixture for now in my opinion. You can, like mentioned place the higher light demanding corals towards the top. I have a few arcoporas in my 125g and I keep them up top, even though I'm running a 12 bulb system.

If you were wanting more SPS and/or clams and nems then I would still look at upgrading the fixture in the future. It all depends on your budget.

here is an excellent light that just came on sale today, very pricey but what I would put over my 55g if i was going back to corals in the tank
48 Inch 8x54W Sunlight Supply Tek Elite Light High Output Fluorescent Lighting Fixture

It's just an example, but you could grow ANYTHING with that light. LOL
Old 10-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafuzy View Post
Oh trust me I got the mandarin down. I've been wanting it since I started saltwater FOWLED almost 2 years ago. Did my research. bit thank you.

no problem as long as you've done your homework on the very difficult fish. most people just buy them because they are pretty and they end up losing them
Old 10-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
It would be a good fixture for now in my opinion. You can, like mentioned place the higher light demanding corals towards the top. I have a few arcoporas in my 125g and I keep them up top, even though I'm running a 12 bulb system.

If you were wanting more SPS and/or clams and nems then I would still look at upgrading the fixture in the future. It all depends on your budget.

here is an excellent light that just came on sale today, very pricey but what I would put over my 55g if i was going back to corals in the tank
48 Inch 8x54W Sunlight Supply Tek Elite Light High Output Fluorescent Lighting Fixture

It's just an example, but you could grow ANYTHING with that light. LOL

that 8 lamp will melt any coral other then SPS in a 55g. even a 6 lamp is pushing it on that there.

the general rule of thumb is one individually reflected T5HO lamp per every 3-5 inches of aquarium width. T5s are able to penetrate a 30inch deep tank and have a variaty of corals from top to bottom.

i have a 4x24 watt fixture over my 26g and i've only kept 2 lamps on as i haven't fully got a reef system setup, and i have a neon green polyp that started to grow out of nowhere and on 2 lamps has grown from a quarter of an inch to almost a full inch just on two 24watts at a depth of 18 inches
Old 10-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you both so much. Im so glad I finally actually registered haha. Yea I almost rushed the mandarin before I learned about it but she's my baby.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:00 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

4.5 bulbs to cover an 18 deep tank? 3 bulbs for a 12" tank?

will that beable to fully grow anything he wants? clams all the way down to green algae?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com