Finally, my 20 Gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A sad day today. My little hi fin goby jumped. Guess it's time for a screen top...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was ticked. I'm heading out for screen top tonight.

A quick followup to this..it appears that my pistol shrimp probably had a tunnel collapse on him, since I haven't seen him since I found the goby that jumped. From what I've read online, this isn't an entirely uncommon occurrence, unfortunately.

Either way, both have been replaced, and I picked up a nice ORA ponape birdsnest frag as well (couldn't pass it up for 40% off during a Memorial Day sale at my LFS).

That stinks :(. But good call on the Ponapes, IMO it is the best looking birdsnest.

Yeah, it was a nice sized frag, and for $20, I couldn't pass it up. My calcium and alk are steady, so it shouldn't have a problem.

I also found out that my LFS dropped the prices on all their Aqueon/All-Glass tanks...getting a bigger one is harder and harder to resist. It's really a matter of where to put it.

Nice deal, definitely post a pic of it :). My Ponapes is a weed but quite a nice looking weed haha.

Yeah, I'll snap a pic this weekend and post it. I'm hoping it grows out so I can frag it and sell to local folks. My LFS will take frags, but doesn't give store credit :-/

I'm hoping to talk to the owner and see if he can't give me $5/frag or something like that. I've been a longtime customer from my freshwater tanks, and they know me by name. My fingers are crossed.

That would definitely be nice. Especially since its a nicer birdsnest in general.

IME if you come into an lfs with some nice frags, they'll usually make a deal with you.

Here's a shot of it.

One question: right now it is still on the frag plug and at the bottom of the tank. Can I just break it off and glue it somewhere else? Do they do better towards the top?

Attachments

• 1401672525645.jpg
    1401672525645.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 86
Mines about halfway down in my 20 tall. They're a lower light bn ime. Nice looking frag (y)

Yes and yes. But you need to use a super glue gel that's 100% cyanoacrylate.

Any particular brand you recommend? The Loctite gel is from 60-100% CA based on the MSDS:
http://henkelconsumerinfo.com/produ...DS&LANG=EN&COUNTRY=US&VKORG=3450&MATNR=235495

It doesn't state what the other up to 40% could be, though...

Krazy Glue appears to have "fumed silica" in addition to the CA, so it's a no-go.

The BRS gel is $6/oz, whereas this Loctite is only about $0.70/oz at my local Lowes.

I use loctite super glue gel and have never had a problem. Never checked the MSDS on it though, heck most people don't even know what a MSDS sheet is. I guess it doesn't need to be 100% CA. When you glue it down make sure you push the glued frag into the rock and gently twist a little to get the glue into the rock, and you'll have to hold it there for about 5 seconds or so while it cures

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm an engineer, so I triple check all that stuff :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom