Finally, my 20 Gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
With 3 FW tanks up and running, I've decided to go salt :)

It's a 20 gallon tank. Right now, it's curing the rock. I took this pic about 10 minutes after adding the live sand and rock, hence the murkiness.

I will probably add another 20lbs of sand, though I'm not sure I will keep all the rock in there. If not...shucks, I'll have to do another tank ;-) (the wife would *never* let that happen).

So, this is the start of the 4-ish week cure. I'll be checking nitrite/trAte, and ammonia levels probably twice a week. Once the cure is done, the fun really starts.

Thankfully, the kids know that patience is key here. No matter how badly they want new fish, they know that if they don't wait, they won't survive.

One final question on this...since the rock is dry live rock, how will coralline algae be introduced? Did the use of live sand boost the probability of it?

Attachments

• 20130324_132523.jpg
    20130324_132523.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 474
Well congrats first of. I would say it looks good but I can't see. As far as coraline, you are gonna need to get one piece from your lfs with some coraline on it to spread to dry rock. Your sand bed doesn't have anything to do with coraline. Good luck.

Thanks. I'll stop by my LFS and pick up a chunk from them. The murk is still settling, and I'd expect that by tomorrow it should be clear. I was thinking of turning off the circulation pump to help it settle faster, but I don't know how much good that would really do.

Here is a better pic. The powerhead is temporary and will be replaced with a Koralia Nano when the cure is done.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130326_171250.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130326_171250.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 541
Equipment question...for a small tank like this, what kind of circulation do I need? I have one Hydor Nano 425...do I need another, and if so, would a SmartWave be needed, or is it overkill?

Once the cycle is conplete and all your levels are good ammonia , nitrite, nitrate , phosphate, calcium, ph , alkalinity etc. you can get Kent's purple tech . In my 20 g I dosed a little under 1/4 teaspoon once and I get coralline growing the next day

My ammonia has dropped to 0. Nitrites are still off the chart. I dosed with a bottle of BioSpira earlier today. I still have the shrimp decomposing in the tank, should I pull it or keep it there as a food source for the BB?

After a brief ammo overdose scare (see http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/nitrates-drop-during-cycle-and-cure-256416.html) my ammonia is dropping back to zero about 12hrs post-dose. Nitrites are still in the 2-5 range, though. Hopefully another week will have everything at zero (that needs to be at zero). Phosphates are also 0...

I've also added in my 2 Koralia Nano 425 pumps in addition to the MarineLand pump that's in there for uber-circulation. I dropped in a bag of SeaChem's Matrix Carbon a week and a half ago and SWEET SASSY MOLASSY...what a difference!! No stink, and the water cleared in about 18hrs.

Last edited:
After a 2 1/2 month cycle time (lengthened due to business travel and other events), I finally dropped in the first inhabitants: 2 clowns and a royal gramma (who spends his time hiding; hopefully he overcomes his shyness soon).

Next week, the CUC gets added, then this tank will be done till the fall, when I start adding in some corals.

Attachments

• 20130602_185842.jpg
    20130602_185842.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 327
  • 20130602_185853.jpg
    20130602_185853.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 326
Just an observation but maybe point one of your power heads towards the surface for some agitation. Looks a little stagnant. .

Just an observation but maybe point one of your power heads towards the surface for some agitation. Looks a little stagnant. .

Already done. I'm going to put a HOB on to run Purigen to agitate this weekend.

The gramma is finally coming out of his shell and staying out when we're in the room.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130607_125634.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130607_125634.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 311
RIP Mr Gramma. As soon as he made his appearance in the tank, he was gone :(

We had a prolonged power outage in the middle of the night a few days back. My UPS was able to keep the heater up for a while, but eventually, it ran out of juice and the tank temp started to drop. By the time I got downstairs in the morning (after oversleeping), I tried to heat water in tupperware containers to get the temp back up, but it must have been too chilly for him.

The clowns made it through, though.

One good thing about living in Florida, you only need a heater for like a month tops. Just hope my house AC doesn't crap out.

One good thing about living in Florida, you only need a heater for like a month tops. Just hope my house AC doesn't crap out.

Yup! HA!! I think I'd probably use it 3 days a year. 77 degrees year 'round in my house. Which is pretty funny considering I come from Maine where our only heat source was a wood stove. One extreme to another.

Sorry bout your Gramma. So sad :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom