Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2005, 01:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Finally! NITRITES!!!!!

Amm still at about 1.0. Maybe 1.5.
Nitrites now at .25!!!
(when should I test Nitrates?)

I went with shrimp so that when I put my LR in, most of the hitchhikers will/should survive. Although I am going with Keys LR from LR.com & they said that there is WAY more color compared to Gulf, but that there isn't much life in the form of hitchhikers to speak of. haha... I'm tempted to just buy the keys right now & dump it in... but something tells me that I should just wait.

Not shocked by sticker price at all... just want to make sure that I don't harm the investment that I'm about to make with high & hostile levels of am/trite.

Old 05-04-2005, 10:45 AM   #2
zacdl

You are getting close.

Dont even test for Nitrates until your Nitrites are going down.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

DUDE I AM WIH YOU!!! I have had my tank up for almost 7 weeks and finally got the nitrites to show up a couple days ago with just a trace. Tested last night and i am at 5.0 of Nitrites 2.0 Amm and 2.0 Nitrates. So the cycle process is in full effect FINALLY!!..
Old 05-04-2005, 12:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well... from what I hear from people here at AA, I get the idea that it's best to let the cycle finish, and THEN add in the LR from LR.com, even though there is a chance of another amm spike after the die off from shipping (I live in California, all the way far from Florida). People from LR.com know that I'm 100% going to order from them... so it's not a matter of "trying to get my money", but they think that it would be best to get the keys LR now, let the LR finish my cycle, and not have to worry about anything later. I'm so confused.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
RLG....alot will tell you LR will help with your cycling.
I had mine up with LS for about 3 weeks and then added 80lb of rock. I tested mine and Im barely .25 or lower...
the LR will definently help with your cycling and I should making your order now if you have the cash.
YOu should research to see if there is anyone in CA that does LR....I live in Fla and eventhought LR.com is the most recommend...there are many many places to get it. Some cheaper and have jsut as nice LR as LR.com
Old 05-04-2005, 02:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well... that's the thing... places around here don't have nice rock. They HAVE rock for $5.99 a pound, and it doesn't even have coraline. It's just... full of bacteria and stuff. And I've been to at least 10 other places locally (when I say locally, I mean within a 1 hour radius). I just figured that for around $5 delivered to your door overnight, with as much good feedback that LR.com has on here, I would give them a shot I have the 60 pounds of Base Rock from www.hirocks.com, and 15 pounds of LR Rubble in my sump... so I would be getting another 40 pounds of keys.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If fit were me..............

I would get the LR and drop it in now. Your cycle will be basically over and done with in a short period of time. That's what I did and I didnt really loose anything as far as I can remember.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:47 PM   #8
zacdl

Man you guys have it EASY.Our LFS is $8/lb for crummy rock.

Like I keep saying they are 150% of anywhere.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well... I did it. 40 lbs keys LR order on its way! Those guys over there are seriously the nicest people I've talked to in a while. What steps should I take to prepare for the shipment?

Thanks guys!
Old 05-04-2005, 03:23 PM   #10
zacdl

#1 be there when it arrives

Tags
nitrites

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com