Finally! NITRITES!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RLG2182

Aquarium Advice FINatic
:bday:

Amm still at about 1.0. Maybe 1.5.
Nitrites now at .25!!!
(when should I test Nitrates?)

I went with shrimp so that when I put my LR in, most of the hitchhikers will/should survive. Although I am going with Keys LR from LR.com & they said that there is WAY more color compared to Gulf, but that there isn't much life in the form of hitchhikers to speak of. :? haha... I'm tempted to just buy the keys right now & dump it in... but something tells me that I should just wait. :mrgreen:

Not shocked by sticker price at all... just want to make sure that I don't harm the investment that I'm about to make with high & hostile levels of am/trite.

You are getting close.

Dont even test for Nitrates until your Nitrites are going down.

DUDE I AM WIH YOU!!! I have had my tank up for almost 7 weeks and finally got the nitrites to show up a couple days ago with just a trace. Tested last night and i am at 5.0 of Nitrites 2.0 Amm and 2.0 Nitrates. So the cycle process is in full effect FINALLY!!.. :lol:

Well... from what I hear from people here at AA, I get the idea that it's best to let the cycle finish, and THEN add in the LR from LR.com, even though there is a chance of another amm spike after the die off from shipping (I live in California, all the way far from Florida). People from LR.com know that I'm 100% going to order from them... so it's not a matter of "trying to get my money", but they think that it would be best to get the keys LR now, let the LR finish my cycle, and not have to worry about anything later. I'm so confused. :?

RLG....alot will tell you LR will help with your cycling.
I had mine up with LS for about 3 weeks and then added 80lb of rock. I tested mine and Im barely .25 or lower...
the LR will definently help with your cycling and I should making your order now if you have the cash.
YOu should research to see if there is anyone in CA that does LR....I live in Fla and eventhought LR.com is the most recommend...there are many many places to get it. Some cheaper and have jsut as nice LR as LR.com

Well... that's the thing... places around here don't have nice rock. They HAVE rock for $5.99 a pound, and it doesn't even have coraline. It's just... full of bacteria and stuff. And I've been to at least 10 other places locally (when I say locally, I mean within a 1 hour radius). I just figured that for around $5 delivered to your door overnight, with as much good feedback that LR.com has on here, I would give them a shot :D I have the 60 pounds of Base Rock from www.hirocks.com, and 15 pounds of LR Rubble in my sump... so I would be getting another 40 pounds of keys.

If fit were me..............

I would get the LR and drop it in now. Your cycle will be basically over and done with in a short period of time. That's what I did and I didnt really loose anything as far as I can remember.

Man you guys have it EASY.Our LFS is $8/lb for crummy rock.

Like I keep saying they are 150% of anywhere.

Well... I did it. 40 lbs keys LR order on its way! Those guys over there are seriously the nicest people I've talked to in a while. What steps should I take to prepare for the shipment?

Thanks guys!

zacdl said:
#1 be there when it arrives :)

hahahaha. :lol: Yes. Thanks for the advice! That all? :wink:

I'm actually having it sent to my work. DHL stops by here 2 times a day anyways, so I'll be here ready to receive the shipment when it arrives.

Be ready for the critters!!! I just got my lr in from them yesterday. Putting my rock in I saw 2 crabs a brittle star and a few tiny tiny snails. After haveing it in my tank I'm finding new things all the time. Found another brittle star, so far 2 feather dusters, I love those I need to get me some more or maybe they will spread everwhere.

Last night I heard some poping noises when I turned out the lights. I setup a bottle trap just in case its a mantis. But today when I got home I saw what looks like a small pistol shrimp hideing. I'm still gonna keep the bottle trap in there for a while though.

I can't wait till I find something else!!

Back
Top Bottom