finally ordering a skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevefromga2000

Aquarium Advice Freak
finally, i have the money to order a protein skimmer, but i'm not sure exactly which kind to order. i know there are a couple really good ones out there, but i am trying to stay as close to about $200 as i can. i have a 40 gallon tank, and i do not want a HOB skimmer. i also don't want one that is going to take up a lot of room. does anybody have any suggestions or thoughts on what i should order?

No HOB? Do you have a sump that you could put the skimmer in? Not sure how you can swing the no HOB thing without a sump but I'm sure someone in here can tell you how to do it! Is there a space issue behind the tank? If so, the Aqua C Remora is pretty thin and worked well for me (its a HOB though).

I agree with two11devan that the Aqua C is and awesome skimmer. It is very thin compared to other skimmers and does a great job. Hopefully some one can hook you up with a non-HOB skimmer for you though.

so you guys think that a HOB is a good way to go then? i've never really seen one, just for some reason it was in my head that a HOB would not work as well as an in tank skimmer. the aqua C is the way to go then? i will check it out and go from there. is there anything special that i would need to order along with it, or does it come with everything that i need? also, where can i find one for sale? i looked at dr fosters and smith, and i also looked at aquariumguys.com and i couldn't find the skimmer at either one. are they there and i just couldn't see them, or is there somewhere else to buy one?

I've always heard that the AquaC was very LOUD. Is there anything comprable that operates more quietly?

i still haven't found any for sale. i don't want to shop on e-bay. i found different berlin skimmers, but i haven't heard anything good or bad about those. any thoughts?

the only problem i seem to find now is the shipping policies. i looked around at the first website you shared, and they ship UPS only. i sent a contact e-mail to the second website asking them, so hopefully i'll know soon. i can't get UPS orders shipped to my shipping address. i currently have an APO mailing address and that's what i'll have while i'm here in Japan.

Not trying to be funny but I'd think you could find a good Japanese brand skimmer. I'm certain there are saltwater hobbyists over there. Right? Just about everything the Japanese build is superb quality and I would think aquarium supplies are no different.

there are hobbyists here, but everything is in japanese. i don't speak a word of japanese and therefore have a lot of problems with finding equipment. it just seems easier for me to shop online at an american speaking company to where i can understand what i'm buying and what kind of specifics there are.

does anybody know about berlin skimmers? they look pretty good, but like i said, i have no experience with them. what about this one, it's a berlin HOB skimmer. it comes with the pump and is just over $200 (which is my price range).

http://aquariumguys.com/berlincomplete.html

Back
Top Bottom