FINALLY! started my 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have finally started my 55 gallon salt water build. I currently just have 50 lbs of sand, 20 lbs live rock and just an overflow pushing water no filters just moving water. I have a 75 gallon sandman filter and a 60 gallon overflow. I'm getting to 850 gph powerheads soon. Here's some crappy pics for now.

img_1608741_0_e5f90c7301cd9e7e0bda0a3135c6eac3.jpg

img_1608741_1_ac041da8ab5ec210d018836c0fc31481.jpg

Well I am starting my 55 tomorrow and I think I will keep an eye on your build! I have everything but my rock it is in the mail should get it by the end of the week. I an going to wash my sand, and set up my equipment as well as start mixing my water tomorrow.

I don't have a RO/di unit and I am more than 40 min away from anyplace that sells it so I am going to use only RO water. Do you think that is bad?

I just put my water in a 5 gallon bucket, treat with water conditioner and add salt. Just check salinity and its 1.022 and nitrate is 0. Im slowly building it up as saltwater is expensive... scored like 22 or so pounds of live rock for $30. Used concrete and, not with hardener of course. Got 50 pounds for $4. It took 3 hours to rinse but well worth it.

Travis55 said:
I just put my water in a 5 gallon bucket, treat with water conditioner and add salt. Just check salinity and its 1.022 and nitrate is 0. Im slowly building it up as saltwater is expensive... scored like 22 or so pounds of live rock for $30. Used concrete and, not with hardener of course. Got 50 pounds for $4. It took 3 hours to rinse but well worth it.

You treat tap water with a conditioner ar then add the salt? What about the chemicals in the tap??

You treat tap water with a conditioner ar then add the salt? What about the chemicals in the tap??

I just started and my tank is still cycling. I havent had to add anything to my tank... my lfs sells sw at a little over a buck a gallon. Ill prolly just buy from them.

Travis55 said:
I just started and my tank is still cycling. I havent had to add anything to my tank... my lfs sells sw at a little over a buck a gallon. Ill prolly just buy from them.

Dang thats expensive dude! For the amount it would cost you to fill your tank with sw from them, you could buy a cheaper ro unit

Once your tank is cycled plan on doing a 5 to 10 gallon water change a week. The cost of buying water compared to the filters will help you decide if you want a ro filter. You should top off with ro water as well. When you buy your salt water make sure you always check the SG to make sure it is the same as in your tank sometimes the store mixes it up different.

joy13 said:
Once your tank is cycled plan on doing a 5 to 10 gallon water change a week. The cost of buying water compared to the filters will help you decide if you want a ro filter. You should top off with ro water as well. When you buy your salt water make sure you always check the SG to make sure it is the same as in your tank sometimes the store mixes it up different.

Whats SG? like measure it in the store?

SG = Specific Gravity.

You want your saltwater between 1.023-1.026. Typically the LFS will test the water for you and let you know what it is at.

Oh ok sorry, one more question. The ro/di wter at the petstore is sold with or without salt already mixed in?

Back
Top Bottom