Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Finally starting my salt water aquarium. . .

Hi guys and gals,

I joined her a few years back and life got in the way for a while so I haven't been able to start my salt water tank. I am now FINALLY ready to begin my tank.

So far, I have a 150 gallon tank.

I know I have to purchase a refugium and protein skimmer (Searching Ebay now)

I scuba dive so thinking of going about 5-10 miles out and pull up some buckets of sand and rock and bringing those home (Any issues with that?)

Am I off to the right start? What should I know? Am I missing anything? I am no huge rush to start the tank so I'm fine with it cycling for a while before adding fish.

Thank you.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

you don't have to get a fuge but its best to get one,the natural filtration is far better then anything else.

what are your plans for it?? FOWLR FO or reef?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo View Post
you don't have to get a fuge but its best to get one,the natural filtration is far better then anything else.

what are your plans for it?? FOWLR FO or reef?
What is FOWLR and FO?

I am thinking a semi reef. I want to do a finding nemo type tank for my son.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Check local laws. In some areas the reefs are protected and removing anything could get you into trouble.
FO is fish only. Fowlr is fish only with live rock. Reef is coral, inverts, and fish.
Patience in this hobby is a good sign and will end up saving you more time and money than you could ever imagine.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya View Post
Check local laws. In some areas the reefs are protected and removing anything could get you into trouble.
FO is fish only. Fowlr is fish only with live rock. Reef is coral, inverts, and fish.
Patience in this hobby is a good sign and will end up saving you more time and money than you could ever imagine.
I don't plan on removing reefs from the ocean; just curious if I pull up some sand, is that sand dirty? The guy in fish store was telling me its polluted (I live in Tampa area FL) and if I got beach sand/sand from the water my tank would never begin.

I was wondering if it would be ok to find myself a refugium and protein skimmer, throw tap water in my tank, then put the salt solution in there, put sand from the beach, and rock from the ocean (without coral) and then throw some shrimp in there and let the tank mature, test add fish, test add coral.

Thoughts?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

http://www.steadyactionfishingcharte...egulations.pdf

A copy of the local laws in tampa. Harvesting live rock from Florida waters is prohibited without proper permits. Not sure about the sand. It wasn't listed.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Nemo Tank Guide

Nemo tank isn't gonna work
Old 06-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Why idream? He has a 150 gallon tank. He could keep most of the fish featured there. The gramma, the clownfish, the tangs, a star, etc. The moorish idol
and the anemone should wait for the tank and the tank keepers abilities to mature but a Nemo "style" tank (which is what the OP is going for) is doable. I don't think anyone plans on adding great white sharks or a deep sea octopus to their "Nemo tanks".
Old 06-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya View Post
Why idream? He has a 150 gallon tank. He could keep most of the fish featured there. The gramma, the clownfish, the tangs, a star, etc. The moorish idol
and the anemone should wait for the tank and the tank keepers abilities to mature but a Nemo "style" tank (which is what the OP is going for) is doable. I don't think anyone plans on adding great white sharks or a deep sea octopus to their "Nemo tanks".
Many of them are hard to care for, incompatible, or not reef safe. Yes, he can do some of them, but not all. That was the point of the article. It states you can do some, but it also educates you of some that won't work.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes Maya, you are correct. Thank you.

I am not a fanatic that wants every tiny little thing like finding nemo. I was vague due to my inexperience in this hobby. I don't know the difference between a coral and an anemone other than a name.

But I'm learning and part of why I'm taking up this hobby is I scuba dive and it would be cool to know what is down there that I'm interacting with (not touching).

At any rate, is it true I have to go 50 miles off shore to get sand (laws aside) to put in my tank without fear of pollution/not ever being able to start a tank?

For starters I plan to get sand, a refugium, and protein skimmer, then throw water in there.

Tags
salt, salt water, salt water aquarium, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com