finally starting my tank!!!! help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dropped

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i'm finally starting my first 65g reef tank! I have built a 20g sump to go along with it. i have a couple of questions though.

is it okay to fill the tank and get live rock the same day? I've just put some sand in the tank and I'm going to place a garbage bag over the sand. i'll then fill the tank/sump with some ro/di water that i mixed with Instant Ocean salt. I used 1/2 cup per gallon. I'm mixing the water in separate tubs. After i get everything running properly, I'll then adjust the salinity. I'll wait a bit for the sand storm to die. Can i then get LR the same day?? can you tell, I'm excited?? 8)

i know that the water will still be extremly cloudy, but will the LR suffer?

thanks

The LR will be fine, it will also help to cycle your tank. I began putting my LR in when my tank was still very cloudy. I couldn't see how I was arranging the rock, but I didn't care! :lol:

I'd say as long as the tank has aged saltwater (at least 24-36 hours old, after mixing) then it should be fine.

thanks everyone! i had some trouble setting up the sump/plumbing today so i didn't buy any LR. i'm going tomorrow morning though! my SG is 1.025. i'm not sure if that's good or not. I''m going to purchase some uncured miaki LR. since this is my first time buying LR, i need to know what to look out for, good and bad. all i know is that mantis shrimp are bad and coraline is good! lol

also, i put in a couple of cups of LS to help clear the sandstorm. there were a few little bits of macro algae that went in also. should i worry about the macro algae being in the main tank? thanks again

Back
Top Bottom