Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok another question...I currently only have the API SW Master test kit and stuff to test for copper (I was worried about previous ich treatment soaking in the sealant, but luckily no signs of copper!)

Anyway, when do I need to start worrying about phosphates? And where do they come from? Overfeeding, non-RO water? Do phosphates just cause algae like Nitrates?

Thanks!

Old 03-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hm my cycle is certainly taking it's time. I dosed with ammonia 4 days ago, and these are my parameters.

Readings:
Ammonia: 0-0.25ppm
Nitrite: 2-5ppm, it has been at this level since a week ago
Nitrate: 0-5ppm

Does it look like anything is going wrong or the cycle is stuck? It seems the ammonia is easily turning into Nitrite, but Nitrite to Nitrate is taking a whileeee

It's been a little over 3 weeks now

Old 03-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yea normally nitrite takes a while. question, why is your nitrite water level so low? normally the nitrite should be just above the line after the test is done. it looks like you're missing 1ml of water there.
NyteGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteGTI View Post
yea normally nitrite takes a while. question, why is your nitrite water level so low? normally the nitrite should be just above the line after the test is done. it looks like you're missing 1ml of water there.
Good observation! I figured that if it wasn't at the line exactly it wouldn't be a big deal. But now that I'm thinking about it, if there is not enough water, the test could be inflated. I will test again tomorrow with the correct amount of water.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yea I mean a little here & there isn't bad but 1ml+ is 10% off. could be a difference
Old 03-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Think I'm done cycling! I have no Nitrites but the odd thing is I only have about 5ppm of Nitrates, aren't Nitrates supposed to go off the charts?? Sorry if the picture is sideways, I rotated it in like 2 different programs and it wont' stick.

cerulean_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just finished cycling and my nitrates weren't very high either. They were approx 20. I assumed they would skyrocket too, but they didn't. I dosed ammonia two more times to ensure I was cycled. Each time ammonia and nitrites were back to zero within 24 hours. Looks like I'm good.

If you haven't already, I would dose ammonia to 4ppm. If it and nitrites both zero out in less than 24 hours, I think you're ok.

Disclaimer: I am a noob
Old 03-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish noob View Post
I just finished cycling and my nitrates weren't very high either. They were approx 20. I assumed they would skyrocket too, but they didn't. I dosed ammonia two more times to ensure I was cycled. Each time ammonia and nitrites were back to zero within 24 hours. Looks like I'm good.

If you haven't already, I would dose ammonia to 4ppm. If it and nitrites both zero out in less than 24 hours, I think you're ok.

Disclaimer: I am a noob
Yup I just put some Ammonia in! I really wanted to go get a couple clowns today but I'll have to wait another week (I'll be traveling from tomorrow until next Friday)

But looks like I'm good, maybe if the ammonia turns to nitrite then nitrate in 3 hours I can go! haha that'd be a miracle.

And thanks for the disclaimer but its nice to hear from someone! Your opinion is always appreciated
Old 03-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

if you're traveling, don't get the clowns until you get back no matter what. you're going to want to watch new fish for a few weeks to make sure there's no disease
Old 03-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fun Update!

Tank has been fully cycled for over a week, I finally got done with my travel schedule. So I went to my LFS, got 2 ocellarius clowns, 1 blue legged hermit, 2 astris snails.

My rock appears to be growing diatoms or is that BB?

I am in the process of acclimating the 2 clowns! They are doing very well so far, I also confirmed with the store that they quarantined them before hand and they have been in the store for 3 weeks perfectly healthy.

Tags
29 gallon, changed, first sw, new tank thread, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com