Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Finally starting a thread on new SW 29g

I've been traveling so much since I set up my first SW 29gal tank. I've been dying to post about it!

Quick back story - Well basically I wanted to start a Lake Malawi Cichlid tank, and I got as far as this when I decided to switch to SW!
http://i.imgur.com/v0fGS.jpg

So 14 days ago I got everything needed to start up my first SW - of course doing a ton of research on here before hand. I went to the LFS and got live rock, aragonite, some dry rock, power head (had a slight mishap there!), HOB Aquaclear 50 (old HOB broke today ). And a raw shrimp! Put it all together, went away for 14 days, got back and here she is...
http://i.imgur.com/CwMT0.jpg

Old 03-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

So here are the results from Day 14 after the first PWC. Got rid of most of the nitrates, nitrites are still high though...will have to wait longer it seems :/

Old 03-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
Fish R friends, not food!

Why did you do a water change? You shouldn't have to do one until your ammonia and trItes are 0. Then water change to get the trAtes down.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman
Why did you do a water change? You shouldn't have to do one until your ammonia and trItes are 0. Then water change to get the trAtes down.
Ha you're right. I've been reading so much that I thought I read somewhere to do small changes when you start to see high nitrates. Just re-read and oops! Hopefully that didn't slow the cycle down too much.

Used the dead shrimp method for 14 days now I got some pure ammonia to help speed it up a bit.
cerulean_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok so I'm on my normal travel schedule and we'll be back on 3/8 and hopefully the tank has finished it's cycle, it will have been 3 full weeks, fingers crossed!

Anyways, i've been thinking about what fish to get, and would love opinions. Tank is 29 gal, I plan to go coral in a few months, and would love a nice variety of fish and colors.

I've been mandated by the girl to get 2 Clown Fish (Ocellaris), other than that I'm open...

I'm thinking to also get a Royal Gramma Basslet, and a yellow watchman goby OR an orange striped prawn goby.

I'd like something blue too, but I hear damsel's are the devil
Old 03-06-2012, 01:51 AM   #6

If you want blue, I have a pygmy angel that is blue with a yellow head. Very pretty, but "reef with caution". I have mine with corals for about 2 weeks now and no issues yet. Here is a link.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
If you want blue, I have a pygmy angel that is blue with a yellow head. Very pretty, but "reef with caution". I have mine with corals for about 2 weeks now and no issues yet. Here is a link.
Looks pretty cool, what kind of fish do you have again? Is the angel aggressive towards others?
Old 03-06-2012, 01:59 AM   #8

I have a pair of percula clowns, the pygmy angel, a lawnmower blenny and a hector's goby. All getting along great!
Old 03-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Quote:
I have a pair of percula clowns, the pygmy angel, a lawnmower blenny and a hector's goby. All getting along great!
Lawnmower blenny = sailfin blenny?
Old 03-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #10

Algae blenny
Percula clowns
pygmy angel
Hector's Goby

Tags
29 gallon, changed, first sw, new tank thread, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com