Finally starting my Thread on new SW 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cerulean_blue

Aquarium Advice Activist
Finally starting a thread on new SW 29g

I've been traveling so much since I set up my first SW 29gal tank. I've been dying to post about it!

Quick back story - Well basically I wanted to start a Lake Malawi Cichlid tank, and I got as far as this when I decided to switch to SW! :facepalm:
http://i.imgur.com/v0fGS.jpg

So 14 days ago I got everything needed to start up my first SW - of course doing a ton of research on here before hand. I went to the LFS and got live rock, aragonite, some dry rock, power head (had a slight mishap there!), HOB Aquaclear 50 (old HOB broke today :banghead:). And a raw shrimp! Put it all together, went away for 14 days, got back and here she is...
http://i.imgur.com/CwMT0.jpg

So here are the results from Day 14 after the first PWC. Got rid of most of the nitrates, nitrites are still high though...will have to wait longer it seems :/

x4yVB.jpg

Why did you do a water change? You shouldn't have to do one until your ammonia and trItes are 0. Then water change to get the trAtes down.

spoonman said:
Why did you do a water change? You shouldn't have to do one until your ammonia and trItes are 0. Then water change to get the trAtes down.

Ha you're right. I've been reading so much that I thought I read somewhere to do small changes when you start to see high nitrates. Just re-read and oops! Hopefully that didn't slow the cycle down too much.

Used the dead shrimp method for 14 days now I got some pure ammonia to help speed it up a bit.

Ok so I'm on my normal travel schedule and we'll be back on 3/8 and hopefully the tank has finished it's cycle, it will have been 3 full weeks, fingers crossed!

Anyways, i've been thinking about what fish to get, and would love opinions. Tank is 29 gal, I plan to go coral in a few months, and would love a nice variety of fish and colors.

I've been mandated by the girl to get 2 Clown Fish (Ocellaris), other than that I'm open...

I'm thinking to also get a Royal Gramma Basslet, and a yellow watchman goby OR an orange striped prawn goby.

I'd like something blue too, but I hear damsel's are the devil

If you want blue, I have a pygmy angel that is blue with a yellow head. Very pretty, but "reef with caution". I have mine with corals for about 2 weeks now and no issues yet. Here is a link.

If you want blue, I have a pygmy angel that is blue with a yellow head. Very pretty, but "reef with caution". I have mine with corals for about 2 weeks now and no issues yet. Here is a link.

Looks pretty cool, what kind of fish do you have again? Is the angel aggressive towards others?

I have a pair of percula clowns, the pygmy angel, a lawnmower blenny and a hector's goby. All getting along great!

I have a pair of percula clowns, the pygmy angel, a lawnmower blenny and a hector's goby. All getting along great!

Lawnmower blenny = sailfin blenny?

Ok another question...I currently only have the API SW Master test kit and stuff to test for copper (I was worried about previous ich treatment soaking in the sealant, but luckily no signs of copper!)

Anyway, when do I need to start worrying about phosphates? And where do they come from? Overfeeding, non-RO water? Do phosphates just cause algae like Nitrates?

Thanks!

Hm my cycle is certainly taking it's time. I dosed with ammonia 4 days ago, and these are my parameters.

5eunA.jpg

Readings:
Ammonia: 0-0.25ppm
Nitrite: 2-5ppm, it has been at this level since a week ago :(
Nitrate: 0-5ppm

Does it look like anything is going wrong or the cycle is stuck? It seems the ammonia is easily turning into Nitrite, but Nitrite to Nitrate is taking a whileeee

It's been a little over 3 weeks now

yea normally nitrite takes a while. question, why is your nitrite water level so low? normally the nitrite should be just above the line after the test is done. it looks like you're missing 1ml of water there.

yea normally nitrite takes a while. question, why is your nitrite water level so low? normally the nitrite should be just above the line after the test is done. it looks like you're missing 1ml of water there.

Good observation! I figured that if it wasn't at the line exactly it wouldn't be a big deal. But now that I'm thinking about it, if there is not enough water, the test could be inflated. I will test again tomorrow with the correct amount of water.

yea I mean a little here & there isn't bad but 1ml+ is 10% off. could be a difference

Think I'm done cycling! I have no Nitrites but the odd thing is I only have about 5ppm of Nitrates, aren't Nitrates supposed to go off the charts?? Sorry if the picture is sideways, I rotated it in like 2 different programs and it wont' stick.

QfxU4.jpg

I just finished cycling and my nitrates weren't very high either. They were approx 20. I assumed they would skyrocket too, but they didn't. I dosed ammonia two more times to ensure I was cycled. Each time ammonia and nitrites were back to zero within 24 hours. Looks like I'm good.

If you haven't already, I would dose ammonia to 4ppm. If it and nitrites both zero out in less than 24 hours, I think you're ok.

Disclaimer: I am a noob

I just finished cycling and my nitrates weren't very high either. They were approx 20. I assumed they would skyrocket too, but they didn't. I dosed ammonia two more times to ensure I was cycled. Each time ammonia and nitrites were back to zero within 24 hours. Looks like I'm good.

If you haven't already, I would dose ammonia to 4ppm. If it and nitrites both zero out in less than 24 hours, I think you're ok.

Disclaimer: I am a noob

Yup I just put some Ammonia in! I really wanted to go get a couple clowns today but I'll have to wait another week (I'll be traveling from tomorrow until next Friday) :(

But looks like I'm good, maybe if the ammonia turns to nitrite then nitrate in 3 hours I can go! haha that'd be a miracle.

And thanks for the disclaimer but its nice to hear from someone! Your opinion is always appreciated

if you're traveling, don't get the clowns until you get back no matter what. you're going to want to watch new fish for a few weeks to make sure there's no disease

Fun Update!

Tank has been fully cycled for over a week, I finally got done with my travel schedule. So I went to my LFS, got 2 ocellarius clowns, 1 blue legged hermit, 2 astris snails.

My rock appears to be growing diatoms or is that BB?

I am in the process of acclimating the 2 clowns! They are doing very well so far, I also confirmed with the store that they quarantined them before hand and they have been in the store for 3 weeks perfectly healthy.

iwlih.jpg
eDfL1.jpg
92jVQ.jpg
bNn2z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom