Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Finally The 20g Reef is a 55g Reef

After a year in running a 20g Reef and 4 months of cycling the 55g My buddy and I transfered everything into the 55. Took us 3-4 hours. I ended up with about 100lbs LR. I have a Whisper 60, Seaclone 100(temp), Jebo 36watt UV sterilizer, 2 MaxxJet 1200 Power Heads, PowerSweep 212 Power Head, Oddysea 492Watt MH, PC fixture with 2 External Ballast. Velvet Damsel, 3 stripe Damsel, Green Mandarin, Purple Basslet, Yellow Tang(temp), Hippo Tang(temp), Percula Clown, Fire Clown, Cleaner Wrasse (MIA), 2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Tiger Pistol Shrimp, Large Clean Up Crew, Serpant Star, Green BTA, 30+ Mushrooms, 4 Anemone Mushrooms, 4 colonies of Xenia, Branching Frogspawn,Yellow Finger Gorgonian Pagoda Branch, colony Orange Sand pollyps, Electric Blue Crocea Clam

125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 06:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congrats on a successful transfer. Make sure you monitor water parameters for the next couple of weeks. The bioload sounds pretty large. Once the sand settles we would love to see some pics.

Old 12-18-2005, 03:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to IworkatPSP
It was quite an endeavor, but well worth it in the end. Took us a solid 2 hours to situate the rock in a way that we liked.....and it's still not quite right. Once he's done slacking I'll make sure he posts some pics with it.

I am definately jealous of his lighting now. 8)
Old 12-20-2005, 01:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wont worry about the bio load the 55 was running with fish in it I just moved my coral and like 2 fish from the 20 to the 55
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 05:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to ace1uno_00
All that fit in a 20 Gal before the 55 Gal?
lol
I'm confused. looks good tho.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:12 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Looks good. Cant wait for pics

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to IworkatPSP
Heh, his 20 housed a clown, a hippo tang, the coral, and the wrasse. We've always talked about moving his 20 into his 55 and one night around midnight, we decided to do it. We put all the coral and inverts into a styrofoam container with a powerhead and every 20 minutes exchanged 2 cups of water from the main tank into the container. The fish we bagged and acclimated normally.

While acclimating we organized the rock a few hundred different ways til we found one that worked. After that, we started placing the coral and introducing the fish to the tank. Finally around 4am we finished and called it a night.

Now that his new halide/PC fixture came, we had to drop all the coral to a lower position so they wouldn't be burned.

All in all, I'm glad to finally see the 20g gone and the 55 looking like a true reef tank.

Matt

Tags
20 gallon, 55 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com