Finally: Uprading to 120g Reef - Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is your water temp? Never mind I'm not going to even pretend like I know what I'm talking about.

I still say try a big water change.

I have recently been having huge problems with nitrates, so I have been working on it and after a few water changes, they have lowered considerably! Good luck!

Larger pwc done but no change in pH nor trites :(
The waiting game continues

Don't be too worried about bleaching from the brightness. Looking straight at the sun hurts your eyes, too and corals love it plenty ;)

Try running chaeto algae and avoiding stirring of the sand bed. In time, with water changes, so long as you aren't throwing decomposing shrimps into the tank I don't see how your nitrates/trites won't reach normal.

Thank you guys :)

Figured I needed to do more PWCs, have to make more water first.

Cheato is already in...hope it'll do it's job eventually

And yes, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the light I'd not gonna b too much... But I guess you can always take bulbs out if u have too

BTW: nitrite still high, pH 7.8 and today I noticed diatom algae stuff on the sand.

coffeetwitch said:
still off the chart? i thought your tank was plenty big for that light.

We will see ;) can't say yet for sure

And purple just looks purple to me, it's hard for me to say

Whattya think about those diatoms forming? Good sign? I know they r usualy a bad thing, but maybe for cycling it's good?!?!?!?!

i thought the diatoms was a sign of a new tank... i think thats a good thing.

purple is purple i know. water change until its less than purple in a good way. like 2ppm. then see how it goes. that should also do your pH some good. out of curiosity what is the pH of your water before you add it to your tank for the water change?

coffeetwitch said:
i thought the diatoms was a sign of a new tank... i think thats a good thing.

purple is purple i know. water change until its less than purple in a good way. like 2ppm. then see how it goes. that should also do your pH some good. out of curiosity what is the pH of your water before you add it to your tank for the water change?

That's a good question LOL
gonna do another water change tomorrow and will check ph hahahaha

OMG it seams like cycling is coming closer and closer to an end!!! My trites are dropping more and more while I'm still dosing small amounts of ammonia. I'm giving it about 1-2 more days ;D

Sounds like you are getting close. To answer your earlier question, all new tanks (or established ones that go through a major change) will have a diatom outbreak. If I remember right, it feeds on silicates. As soon as it uses up the silicates in your system it will die off on its own. During cycling of a new tank, it is a sign that you are reaching the end of the cycle. Don't do anything about the diatom, just let it die off on it's own.

rdnelson99 said:
Sounds like you are getting close. To answer your earlier question, all new tanks (or established ones that go through a major change) will have a diatom outbreak. If I remember right, it feeds on silicates. As soon as it uses up the silicates in your system it will die off on its own. During cycling of a new tank, it is a sign that you are reaching the end of the cycle. Don't do anything about the diatom, just let it die off on it's own.

Cool, thx!!!
I was aware of the diatom, but still wondering LOL blond, whattya expect ;)

Gee, why do I not remember having this going on with my 30g? It was so much less stressful and was done within a week...
Can't wait to cycle my 250g, If I ever get one... I will have to be on Xanax for that o_O

Back
Top Bottom