Finals made the jump to salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lamby

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all the saltys here on AA.
So I have finaly started my nano marine tank today. Went to my LFS today and brought 4.5kg of live rock tanks still a bit merky from taking the rocks out from my bumble bee gobys and added more salt a power head now I wait .

Attachments

• image-1353080467.jpg
    image-1353080467.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 113
Is $15 per kg decent price for live rock

So i have a whole bunch of thos feather looking worms in my live rock iv also spotted a snail or hermit crab its to small to tell at the moment and what I belive to be an octopus offspring hiding in a hole hes white with black stripes

what lights the ones in the tank are for freshwater and marine

Day2: Water has cleared up now water was fine last night when I tested it. Im having problems with my temp being to high and it wont drop I left my heater unpluged over night and its still up around 26.6-27

Attachments

• image-966848714.jpg
    image-966848714.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 83
What ammonia source are you cycling with? Tank looks good so far. The temp of 78*F (26*C, I think-lol) is fine, looks like you won't be needing a heater much. :)

No dont think I will and its got my old filter so all the goodies in their will help the cycle along still adding a small amount of food daily befor the lights go on.

Im guessing its started to cycle now ammonia has jumped to 0.5 nitrite 0.30 and nitrate between 10-20ppm salinity 1.022

For a good strong cycle that will support fish and not have a mini cycle when you add fish, the ammonia should ideally get up to 4ppm, so keep an eye on it. :)

Ok so il test it more today should I just do my ammonia or all 3

lamby said:
Ok so il test it more today should I just do my ammonia or all 3

I did all three just cuz I was really excited. Technically, you can start testing Trites once the ammonia starts to fall and then test for Trates once Trites start to fall. But testing for all 3 the whole time just gives you extra practice at doing the tests, so go for it if you want to. :) And I keep a journal of all my test dates and results, along with any actions I do, like PWC. There's an app that will graph it all out for you if you want to enter it all in. It's called Aquaplanner. It will also keep track of what's In Your tank and the date you added it to the tank. There's other stuff you can do with it too, but I don't make full usage of it, really. I do like that it'll graph my temps, levels, etc. sorry, I'm getting a little too chatty here. Lol.

Im going to download it now thanks and im still having the temp jump around its up to 7.5 now if I turn the light off will it effect any thing or even if i have te lid half cocked

I realy want the app now but I dont have direct debit

arghhhhh my temp has jumped even more now HELP!!!!! its at 28.4 and rising

The a/c?? Where do you live? Must be someplace warm. Lol. I'm in Michigan, so no a/c right now needed for us. Haha. Some people use washed off water bottles that have been frozen, and put them in the tank to cool it down. They'll cool off water and then you can re-freeze them and re-use. A lot cheaper then buying a chiller.
The app isn't mandatory, just nice way to keep track. You can also use just any notebook. Just make columns for date, ammo, trite, trate, pH, temp, etc and you'll be able to easily glance down the columns and see if its stable. :)

Im from Australia but its only the start of summer so I think il be getting an auto cooling system just saves the worry

Australia-cool!! There are several members I've seen from Australia; much cooler place than Michigan.

Just try a small clip-on fan blowing across the surface of the water since its only a little bit too warm. That should work. :) Much cheaper than a chiller!!

Yeah thats a pretty good idea il have to go to the shops im not to fused as il have to wait a month befor adding any life

Back
Top Bottom