Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-07-2004, 09:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Finaly getting a big tank, well big for me.

My wife and I have decided to get a big tank well bigger than the 125 we now have. I have just put in the order for a 120x36x36 575 gallons tank at my local fish store, and it should be delivered just after Christmas. The tank will be setup as a room divider so we will get to see most all of the tank. The over flows will be built into the side with 2-2” returns.

As for filtration I have always used bio balls in my diy sumps and protein skimmers. I have a severer itch to try the deep bed sand filter but am having a hard time finding the medium to set it up. I was reading the article by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph. D at http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm. He suggests using particles from 0.050 to 0.200. The only vender I found selling anything close is CaribSea Aragamax Grand Bahama Reef Sand: 0.2-1.2mm majority grain size, any thoughts if that is ok or should I keep looking?

The other new additions to my filtration system will be a UV sterilizer and maybe a calcium reactor. I like what I have read about the UV sterilizers and how they help reduce the possibility of diseases. I plan to keep mostly fish but I do plan to put in some corals and a lot of invertebrates, that’s why I have been looking into a calcium reactor.

I also have a large chiller and several lights for the tank that are already sized for the tank if I choose to put more than just a few corals in.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

thelandco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 10:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Sounds very cool. What live stock have you had previously? Also, do you have an idea stocking list? Would like to see pics in the future! Good Luck!!

29 gallon under construction
TeenReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 10:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well our shark and snow flake eel will be the first 2 inhabitants. The shark was the selling point for the bigger sank for my wife. She loves her shark. Other than that I am open to just about anything.
I do plan to add what they call a Detritus Attack Pack which comes with the following tank cleaner species: Fancy Serpent Sea Star, Tiger-striped, Sand Sifting Sea Star, Sea Cucumber, Tiger Tail, Burgundy Sea Star or Blue Linckia Sea Star, Fancy Serpent Sea Star, Red, and Fancy Brittle Sea Star, Yellow.
thelandco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 11:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Sounds like a great tank, congrats!!
And welcome to AA
quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 04:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
I am jealous! Send some pics so I can see it when you get it setup.

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 06:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
most people are using southdown playsand, its about 90% cheaper than aquarium aragonite and is identical. Buy it at home depot.

you will find WAY more info at www.reefcentral.com and your setup and similar setup, some people are shying away from the deep sand beds and using bare bottom variants called starboard or expoxied substrate. Keep us updated.
DeepCutta720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 10:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a sand bed that is about 2" thick. While most would say that it doesn't LOOK really nice..it is very interesting to look at as it teems with all sorts of bizarre creatures going about their disgusting, but important, lives.

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com