Finding Nemo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

douggiestyle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok the kids want the finding nemo fish. But I cant figure out what all of them are.
If you saw the movie please help?

1. The butterfly fish(?) in the dentists tank (has the twin sister flo that she sees in the glass)?
2. The goby(?) in the dentists tank?

I realize I will not be able to put all these fish in my tank but it would be nice for the kids if I could get some.

the butterfly fish you are talking about is actually a three striped damsel. i know it looks blue, but if you watch the special features on disc two, it has mr. rays encyclopedia which identifies and talks a little about all of the characters, and he shows a "humbug fish", which is also a three striped damsel. there isnt a goby in the tank so i think you are talking about the royal gramma basslet, the purple and yellow fish. both are readily available in most lfs. HTH

This link is less for you douggiestyle than it is for others whom might come across this thread with the release of the movie on video.

http://reefcentral.com/FindingNemo/

I highly suggest anyone looking to get a 'nemo' themed tank to read the above link and please feel free to post questions/comments either here or in another thread.

oh heck, just save the reading......alot of the fish shown together arent
compatable, most require a very large tank or are difficult keepers.

But rest assured, most of the LFS's out there would be glad to sell
them to you, to their ultimate demise and your financial loss.

I actually found and read that article a couple of weeks ago while searching for a list of fish that are in finding nemo. In reality that articule is good for the next door neighbor who went to the pet store and bought a clown fish and put it in a fishbowl from wal-fart and added some morons[sic] salt.

I saw the movie in the theater and cant remember the fish in the movie. i have not purchased the dvd yet and most likely will not see the movie again til after christmas.

there isnt a goby in the tank so i think you are talking about the royal gramma basslet, the purple and yellow fish
Thats funny we have a psuedo chromis one of my favs :? It has been a couple of months.
the butterfly fish you are talking about is actually a three striped damsel. i know it looks blue, but if you watch the special features on disc two, it has mr. rays encyclopedia which identifies and talks a little about all of the characters, and he shows a "humbug fish",
I could have swore that fish was half blue with a false eye on the dorsel and forceps mouth. The mind is getting old...

This whole Nemo thing has me a little upset. I haven't seen the movie, but the BF has... and now he just has to have a Nemo. (We won't go into the issues of my 34 year old BF being obsessed with Nemo! :oops: )

Anyway, for that reason I am now researching and planning my first saltwater tank - a Nano Reef, for the express purpose of housing one or two Nemos. Fine - I'm responsible and will do my research so that I take good care of the fish... just like I do with my FW buddies. But - I know there are tons of people who won't and will just run out and buy Nemos without a clue of how to keep them. Everytime I'm in my LFS and I see those overcrowded tanks full of little clowns I get really sad just thinking of the fate that's waiting for most of those fish! :puppydogeyes:

Anyway, with all the Nemo talk lately - especially in my own house... I just wanted to vent. But, I know that posting my rant here is like preaching to the choir!

One good thing about them chosing Nemo to be a clownfish is at least they are Tank Raised and we won't have to worry so much about them going onto the endangered Species list because of the movie..

James

One good thing about them chosing Nemo to be a clownfish is at least they are Tank Raised and we won't have to worry so much about them going onto the endangered Species list because of the movie..
speaking of that of which type is nemo false or true

I do believe the tank in the dentist's office was also over-stocked if you ask me.

Regretfully, this movie is going to cause the death of many an innocent clownfish much like parents who buy their kids baby rabbits for Easter with no clue how to care for these animals. I'm hoping it generates some greater appreciation for the hobby, but I feel sorry for all those percs that are going to be dumped in fresh water tanks and un-cycled salt tanks.

My own maroon clown 'Rocky' wanted to audition for the lead role in the sequel, but he wants to play a bad guy so he can blow stuff up, preferably my Coral Beauty.

Hi Tigerlily,
I'm with you! When the movie first came out, I thought the clownfish was cute. But I knew that you just could not put one in a bowl like a betta (btw, my betta is in his own tank!) and everyone that mentioned the movie to me, I said that the clownfish requires specialized care and you need about 4 months to get one...a month or two to research (ok, I'm slow!) and a few months to set up and prepare and cycle the system, besides reading up on good SW maintenance, and proper feeding and lighting.

So...I didn't think about getting a clownfish. But I've begun to read the SW posts and and articles and they are very interesting. (although I'm so lost on sumps...understand the general purpose but as far as putting it together :?: well, still researching!) Right when I made up my mind to start a SW tank, other FW ppl like Allivymar, Bearfan, and you, Tigerlily, said they were too, so that's a good luck omen! :D

I've been looking at the nano reefs and have decided that my tank will be a 7 gallon AGA bowfront. As I was reading about them on a nano reef site, I saw that one of the fish that will do well in them is a clownfish. So although I didn't set out to specifically get a "Nemo", I am glad that the percula or ocellaris can be the occupant of my nano reef!

And yes, his name will probably be Nemo! I already named my betta after my husband! :lol:

Yeah, I've been "told" that ours will be named Nemo too. Ugh! :lol:

Anyway, speaking of bunnies at Easter... I have a large rabbit too - got her from a rescue society... someone probably got her as a cute little bunny for Easter and then dumped her at the pound when she grew into a 12 pound rabbit behemoth and starting eating them out of house and home...

:bad-words: I get so angry about how some people treat their pets. Domesticated animals can't take care of themselves, and count on us to take good care of them. Yet so many people treat them with disregard or worse, are outright cruel. :soap: OK - off the soapbox...

I'm so glad I can come here where people really care about their fishy friends! :mrgreen:

BTW: An t-iasg... I am doing a 10 gal AGA - bought the lights and am still planning out the rest. Want a sump/fuge, but am also having trouble figuring out how to put it all together! We'll get there though... Let's keep each other posted!

Hi Tigerlily,
Well, I'm not very imaginitive with names, I guess...so if I can't come up with anything good, his name will be Nemo! (Anyone want to help name my Nemo?!)

I thought I'd do the 7 gal. and a 5 gal. sump, but so far it's not looking good, as far as the specifics of building. I'm not even sure on the 5 gal. sump, whether it's too big or little, but a lot of stuff has to go in there. My hubby will help but I want to pretty much be able to do it too. I saw on a nano reef site where they recommend a certain lighting kit to replace what comes with the 7 gal. bowfront. I'll consider it but I still will do my own research. Yes, at this point I wonder how it will come together!

I'm glad you rescued the bunny. It's a shame how some pets are treated. I'm also glad that everyone here really cares about their fish!

Nem is a false percula or A. ocellaris.
Really I guess I am going to have to watch the movie again and pay a little bit closer of attention to him and check that out.. I could have sworn that Nemo was a True Perc. However I was not paying that close to attention as to species of fish..

Well they say you learn something new everyday.. BTW Kudos Kevin for pointing that out..

James

See what is interesting to me is that I found there to be a NEGATIVE message in the movie regarding fish tanks. The fish are weird and/or neurotic, and all they want to do is escape!

"Hoo HA Ha - Welcome to Tankdom"
"Its the tank. It does things to you."
"Hi, I'm Flo, this is my sister, 'Hi, how are ya,' (never pay attention to what my sister says)"
The blowfish that can't control himself
They are terrified of The Girl Who Kills Fish
etc.

Did any one else get that from the movie?

p.s. I'm not saying I'm not a huge fan - it was an obsession for a while, the fruits of which can be seen on my website of Nemo desktop wallpapers
http://hhouse.net/findingnemo :oops: :D

justmy2cents said:
Is a sump necessary?
Im not sure where this comes up in the movie but no sumps are not nessecary. They just allow you to move all your equipment off the main tank and put it out of the way and allow you to increase the water volume of the system making it more stable. Sumps also facilitate easier water changes.

ok - lets see if I can do this correctly I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Nemo - clownfish false Percula - gets to be about 4" make a good community fish and tends to pretty hardy if tank raised
Dory - Blue Hippo Tang - gets to be about 10 " not hard to take care of once they get acclimated, if you have a large enough tank at least 80 gal. good community fish as well
Phil - the one with the forecept mouth I think its the one you are talking about anywayit is a Moorish Idol, a fish in a class by itself, grows up to 7" and is a really bad choice. They rarely make it in captivity and almost sure to die quickly.
Jacques - a cleaner shrimp good choice they are easy to care for and stay real small!
Bloat - spiny Puffer great fish but not a good community fish can be kept with a very limited number of tank mates and requires a large tank pretty much to its self.Gets to be about 6"
Gurgle - Royal Gramma ok community fish can be semi aggressive gets to be 3"
Bubbles - Yellow Tang gets be 8" needs a large tank Very peaceable if you have the room at least a 75 gal tank
Flow - three striped damsel gets up 3" these fish are pretty hardy but like any damsel can be semi aggressive overall good community fish

ok that said I agree with all the previous posts. I am hoping that this list will be used to further research into the requirements of these fish and not for someone to just run out and get them all. I love the movie and hope it inspires people to care more responsibility for the creatures we keep at home and the ones in the ocean. I admit it this movie was what got me started in the hobby myself and there is nothing wrong with that so long as you research before you buy all those cute little fishies! Hope the list is helpful !

Back
Top Bottom