Finding Nemo/Fish Interest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvijay07

Aquarium Advice Freak
Saw this on National TV in Canada. Finding Nemo has caused an interest in Children and sales of Clown Fish have increased.

Vijay :)

I think that we all expected as much. As well as expecting the death rate of captive clown fish to rise astronomically as more and more people setup SW tanks without researching and learning what is needed to keep a marine aquarium.

An SPCA spokesperson said something along those same lines in the show. Hopefully. this will encourage atleast a few to research and do things properly.

Vijay

Yes that article was written and released on the website very close to the release of the movie. All we can do is try to educate those who are interested.

There has been a significant amount of "finding nemo" talk all over the web and most of it is not overly postive.

d9hp said:
Yes, I think everyone everywhere is freaking out just a little much.

I disagree.
It takes the "freaking out" people to raise public awareness.

Yes, it truly does. BUT I dont think a movie is going to RUIN the hobby and kill off the reefs and not let anyone own any marine animals as some crazy people are saying.

or we can all be lax and lazy about it. Do an ostrich routine and when it is all
depleted, scratch our heads and wonder why. The lack of knowledge surrounding the depletion of the reefs quite amazes me. The endangered species are too numerous to ignore. Yeah, you can raise clownfish in captivity, but that is not the point. What about all the species you cant?

I wonder what the popularity of coral calcium is going to do.

I am not saying to do a chicken dance while they go away, but I am saying that a disney movie and its aftermath is not going to make them go away faster. I dont want to come off the wrong way, but everyone thinks that a few people buying a clownfish, and it dying, is gonna make PETA and the other tree huggers cause the US government to ban all the LFS's from selling anything live. I know they wont do this, escpeccialy when the economy is as bad as it is. I feel that this movie can do a great deal of good for this hobby, bringing in people who are really interested in bringing a peice of the ocean into our home.

BUT I dont think a movie is going to RUIN the hobby

There is no one thing that is going to ruin the hobby, we've already done a fair amount of that, there is, however, several things that can be the straw that broke the camels back.

I understand that, but this thread is about the finding nemo movie, not the Tetra thing, or all the other things people are getting so mad over.

This thread is not about finding nemo the movie, it is about the interest it will spark in SW fish keeping, however, whether you understand or not, my comment was a rebuttal of something you typed in this thread. It's hypocritical to aid in going off topic (which I don't feel this is) and then when people don't agree with you to try to admonish people for going off topic :roll:

good point i have wondered that myself

Hara said:
or we can all be lax and lazy about it. Do an ostrich routine and when it is all
depleted, scratch our heads and wonder why. The lack of knowledge surrounding the depletion of the reefs quite amazes me. The endangered species are too numerous to ignore. Yeah, you can raise clownfish in captivity, but that is not the point. What about all the species you cant?

I wonder what the popularity of coral calcium is going to do.
[
quote][/quote]

Did you see the miseducated junk that Terta did i think on GMA? They didn't go into any of the details of running a saltwater tank, and then suggested you can put a blue tang and SEVERAL clowns in one smal tank!

I dont want to come off the wrong way, but everyone thinks that a few people buying a clownfish, and it dying, is gonna make PETA and the other tree huggers cause the US government to ban all the LFS's from selling anything live.

I know we aren't supposed to be running the thread off topic, but I wanted to make an important point.

The major collectors (all of which happen to be in California) barely squeaked out of a court ruling putting major restrictions on the collection of fish, that's right, the one's we all keep. They were able to put off the restrictions by promising to police themselves better and improve the welfare of the collected fish. I can safely assume that they have a limited time to show results.

So while you may not be aware, YES....we are really that close to having a limited hobby. And with the attitude of many hobbyists, retailers, collectors, etc., I honestly can't say that it would be a bad thing right now :? .

I can't add much to this thread but to say I agree with Hoops and ReefRunner..

Although it is extremely important to understand the effects of irresponsible reefkeeping and how it affects nature, i think some people should allow others to express their opinions without taking this topic so personal and leaving nasty replies....after all it is just someone's opinion.

Back
Top Bottom