Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Some people drip their corals before dropping in the tank. I don't and I might start.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
I would also recommend dealing with the background ASAP. I prefer black(I never covered my acrylic 4' tank but purchased some two sided plastic tht can be glued on, should I ever move my tank lol).

The sump is also important to install under the tank before you fill it up in case the thing needs to be dropped in or built around. Another problem I ran into.

Get the reef test kits on top of salt water, I don't know enough to list them so I won't, but about 4-5 other liquid tests besides the salt master test kit which is only: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph
I dont like the idea of painting the glass so ordered some blue background and Saltwater and Reef test kits .

Quote:
Originally Posted by daney90 View Post
Welcome to the family just like you, Im still inexperience and would still consider myself a beginner to this hobby even though I just started few months ago. Sometimes it feels so overwhelming to grasp the infos all at once but this site will definitely guide you along the way

Before you do or buy anything that you are unsure of, ask questions. There's a lot of research thats needs to be done.

If you are doing a sump do tons of research about it. You have a nice stand that will allow you to have maybe 20 gal in there. It's important to have a spacious sump so you can put your heater, return pump, skimmer, make a portion of it as a refugium and other stuff that you may possibly need in the future.
Thanks for the welcome. I got a ESHOPS RS-75 which alows me to fit a skimmer but no refugium. I dont have much space for a wider sump anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjamontan View Post
It is obvious that you have been doing your research for a while. One mistake that I made was thinking that some bubble algae that was in the LFS wouldn't give me a problem. Well I ended up getting out in my tank and it has been a battle ever sense. Just thought I would share that with you
My LFS has one large tank that has a lot of that hairy Algae. Makes me nervous about anything from that tank as I want to minimize introducing problems.
My Maxspect LED's and MP10's arrived today Will post some pics later

Old 01-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Blue back ground will bubble with air pockets.. Paint is the best way to go and If you don't like it? You can just scrape it off. Look at my pics?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #14

Your pics are nice and you make a good point. I will have to think about it.

Here is some pics of my newly arived Maxspect Razor. I plan on hanging it from the ceiling but this give you an idea.
Love how thin this is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2s.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	146501   Click image for larger version

Name:	4s.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	146502  

Name:	7s.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	146503   Click image for larger version

Name:	8s.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	146504  

Old 01-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Awesome LED's. I'm not a big fan of hanging stuff from the ceiling. Too each is own. You every thought about constructing your own personnel lid? It will keep the sound from echoing in the house. I have hard wood floors and image sound bounces. I got my tank as quit as u can without constructing a lid. Corner tanks are not cool.

Do you have a glass top?

It takes one slip up and bye bye lights.... It happens a lot. That's why I have a goose neck. It's reliable, I can move it if need be in a few seconds. I also have a glass lid, just in case some fish want to adventure off like nemo. I wish I had a wooden lid or canopy... ( sure soneone with OCD will correct me)
Old 01-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingbulldog View Post
Awesome LED's. I'm not a big fan of hanging stuff from the ceiling. Too each is own. You every thought about constructing your own personnel lid? It will keep the sound from echoing in the house. I have hard wood floors and image sound bounces. I got my tank as quit as u can without constructing a lid. Corner tanks are not cool.

Do you have a glass top?

It takes one slip up and bye bye lights.... It happens a lot. That's why I have a goose neck. It's reliable, I can move it if need be in a few seconds. I also have a glass lid, just in case some fish want to adventure off like nemo. I wish I had a wooden lid or canopy... ( sure soneone with OCD will correct me)
No glass top - I am going to live dangeriously to start LEDs will be secure hanging from ceiling so I am not concerned it will fall in. And Nemo better get a parachute. I just like the look of an open top tank and from what I have read a lot of people do this. I can always add one later.

Help - Plumbing Question
Now my next problem. I am going to finish up the plumbing this weekend and I need some advice. Take a look at the attached picture.
Should I cut out the plastic tab in the RED circle and then lower the return pipe so that is is level with the cut out ? Also should i drop my drain to the same level ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1s.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	146580  
Old 01-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would cut and drop it. So that u have nothing protruding out of the tank. I'm more for the look factor.

Canopies/ lids are also a safe guard for little kids dropping anything I your tank. I have a lot of unruly nephews. Pain in the butt.... So I need the safety of mind. Too each is own!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

where did you get your sump?
Old 01-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfirman View Post
where did you get your sump?
It's an ESHOPPS RS-75. Bought it from Thatpetplace
Old 01-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingbulldog View Post
I would cut and drop it. So that u have nothing protruding out of the tank. I'm more for the look factor.

Canopies/ lids are also a safe guard for little kids dropping anything I your tank. I have a lot of unruly nephews. Pain in the butt.... So I need the safety of mind. Too each is own!!!

I will do that. Think it will look better and will also give me a little more pressure on my Durso pipe which is a good thing I hope.

Tags
build, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com