Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First Build 60 Gal Mixed Tank

Hi everyone,
I am starting out buiding my first Saltwarer tank and your advice is needed before I start.
Some background about me.
I am 44 years young and I have done a lot of scuba diving which has always made me interested in getting a saltwater reef Aquarium and finally this year I am diving in. I am close to completion of the equipment gathering stage.
I have never done this before and have very little experience except for a small 10 gal goldfish tank that I have had for a couple of years.
My goal is to setup a mixed fish / reef tank that can hopefully sustain SPS & LPS and Fish. I want the hardware and reef life to be esthetically pleasing to the eye inside and out. However at the same time I don’t want to break the bank so finding the right balance has been hard in some areas.
I have been doing research and equipment gathering for about 6 weeks now and have accumulated the following kit: Any comments on what I need or concerns with the equipment would be appreciated as I am ready to start plumbing this weekend.
60 Gal Reef Ready Perfecto Glass Tank with Black Trim 48 x12x24 (Corner Overflow). I would prefer a 75 but that decision point is past.
Marineland Majesty Stand – Black
Reef Octopus NW-110 sump skimmer
Mag Drive 7 return Pump 750 GPH
1 x Koralia 600GPH Magnetic Power Head. I want 2 x vortech MP10 but they are ridiculously over priced) Once I start to populate the system I will look at a 2nd unit.
Fluval E200 Heater up to 60 Gal (Would a 300W be better ? )
60 Pounds of BRS Reef Saver Dry Aquarium Live Rock
60 Pounds of Fiji Pink Arag-Alive! Sand
90 Gal of Salt mix by Oceanic
RO System (Had one already for house water)
32 Gal Rubermaid Trash Can for RO water
API Salt Water Master Test Kit –. What else do I need from testing perspective?
H2 Ocean Refractometer by the aquarium solutions
Assortment of PVC and Vinyl tubing and plumbing parts from Lowes
Deep Blue Reef Ready Plumbing Kit( Waiting for UPS)
Still Need / thinking about getting
Lighting – Tough area - Some great systems out there but LED’s are so overpriced. I think the Maxspect R420R 160W 16,000K is an amazingly good looking system with solid functionality at a reasonable price unlike other vendors. Even comes with suspension hardware or tank rails in the box which is a big plus and cost saver. Thoughts?
Tank Background color Black or Blue ?
ATO System – Need to Research if I need this
Reactor(s) - Need to Research if need this
Refugium – Maybe later
QT Tank Setup
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank & stand s.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	145019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sump & Skimmer 1 s.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	145020  

Name:	Reef Saver Dry Rock s.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	145021  

Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
You're off to a great start. First things first, a good light is needed for SPS corals. Don't go cheap. Get something that won't need to be upgraded in a year. Second thing is flow. Most corals need good flow to clean excrement off themselves and to get food. I've heard 30-50% tank volume is good, but the higher the better. You have 750 and 600 in powerheads. I'm assuming your skimmer runs at 600. That would be toward the lower end of the 1800-3000 gph range for a 60 gallon tank. Might think about adding another 600 on top of that. Point then toward each other and make sure one of then is breaking the water surface. I have forgotten what else you posted about but I hit the important parts for getting things started.

Chad Johnston
PurplePolyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Yes i agree getting good Lights are key. I think I have settled on the Maxspect R420R Razor. Now I just need to find the best price or 10% off coupon would work

And yes I need more and stronger power heads in a few weeks.

Still waiting for some plumbing parts. Been in the post for 7 days now

Also I swopped out my Mag5 for a Mag7 to get better flow.

I have tapped out 32 gal of RO water but run out of storage space and I don't want to spring for another trash can. Once plumbing parts arrive I will do a water leak test.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
Had to do it. Went ahead and ordered the Maxspect R420R 160W 16000K and 2 x Vortech MP10's.

Spending money like water on getting started......have to tell the wife soon...or maybe not....lol
Old 01-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #5

I was playing around with possible rock formations. So what do you all think about this one ?

First Pic is from the front and the second from the back.

Also I need advice on what to use to keep it stable. I have ordered some reef putty but I feel that may not be enough. Any suggestionss ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aquascape Front.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	145985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquascape Back.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	145986  

Old 01-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
I see you went for the MP10's... They are def overpriced for a powerhead. I have 2 korolia 750's and two aqueon 250's in my 55gallon tank as well as the flow from my Reef octopus skimmer and hob emperor 400/ soon to be removed. It works well and saved a ton of $. Looks great your tank is going to be amazing
Salt Life
55g Reef tank
30g Freshwater tank
TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
Welcome to the most to addiction. I recommend painting the back of the tank before you start your first cycle.

LED in my opinion are the best lights. Protein skimner is really not necessary until u get fish. I went a month without a protein skimmer. Nothing to skim for the beginning. Take your time and it will be rewarding. This is great place for information. Also get in with a LFS ( local fish store)

Check out my photos. I'm on my third month.
Flyingbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would also recommend dealing with the background ASAP. I prefer black(I never covered my acrylic 4' tank but purchased some two sided plastic tht can be glued on, should I ever move my tank lol).

The sump is also important to install under the tank before you fill it up in case the thing needs to be dropped in or built around. Another problem I ran into.

Get the reef test kits on top of salt water, I don't know enough to list them so I won't, but about 4-5 other liquid tests besides the salt master test kit which is only: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph
marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:34 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Welcome to the family just like you, Im still inexperience and would still consider myself a beginner to this hobby even though I just started few months ago. Sometimes it feels so overwhelming to grasp the infos all at once but this site will definitely guide you along the way

Before you do or buy anything that you are unsure of, ask questions. There's a lot of research thats needs to be done.

If you are doing a sump do tons of research about it. You have a nice stand that will allow you to have maybe 20 gal in there. It's important to have a spacious sump so you can put your heater, return pump, skimmer, make a portion of it as a refugium and other stuff that you may possibly need in the future.
daney90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
It is obvious that you have been doing your research for a while. One mistake that I made was thinking that some bubble algae that was in the LFS wouldn't give me a problem. Well I ended up getting out in my tank and it has been a battle ever sense. Just thought I would share that with you

jjamontan is offline   Reply With Quote

build, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com