Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2002, 05:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

First Coral

Bought my first coral (Leather) yesterday and was so excited. Brought the baby home, placed it in the tank and was as proud as punch. Left the house a few hours and when I returned, it looks as if it can't hold its head up. Still looks this way. Is this normal behavior for a transplanted Leather Coral?

Also, have got to do something about my lighting. The coral was such a pretty color at the LFS, it looks kind of blue-lavendar in my tank. Not near as pretty.

Old 08-09-2002, 07:12 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
how did you acclomate the coral to the tank...

What kind of current do you have the coral under? Leathers usually prefer to be in some current

Leathers will do that kind of thing when they are not happy. I would give it a few days yet. It should perk up.

I cant tell you how pissed off the leathers where in my tanks after we had that power outage the other week.

They litrally where just layed over totally limp. After I added some additional water current via a battery powered water pump they started to pick back up.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 08:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I acclimated in the same way I would a new fish. Slowing swapping the water in the bag with the tank water. I have it in good water flow. It seemed so happy yesterday when I placed it in and this morning looked good also...then it was pretty limp when I came home this afternoon. I'll wait patiently to see if it will perk up. I'm glad I didn't buy the larger one I really wanted.
Old 08-09-2002, 08:53 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
could be shedding.

they do that every once in a while

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 08-09-2002, 09:09 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I agree, it is probably shedding, but if it doesn't start to perk up in a day or so, you need to get it out of there. You recently used a chealated form of copper in your tank, what did you do to remove the copper?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 08:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh my gosh, can you believe I forgot all about that short use of copper?I've done nothing about the copper. Have had the skimmer going and done my regular water changes, which are not large ones. I had added a new Banded Shrimp about a week ago and he's doing great. If there was still copper in the tank, would it have bothered him? Is there anything I CAN DO to be sure I get the copper out or am I stuck with it? I remember now that I read where you can never totally rid the tank once it is used. I've been searching for more lighting, guess I will hold off until I hear from you. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2002, 09:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

BTW, I forgot to ask...what happens when a coral is shedding? What will it look like? Should this coral be moved to the copper free quarintine tank?

Also, I have a sponge (it is about 2" long & orange) growing out of one of my rock. At least I think it is a sponge. It's doing OK. Would the residue of copper effect some corals and not others?
Old 08-10-2002, 05:54 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Yes, I would move that coral to the q-tank. Go to the LFS and get a kit to test for chealated copper. You used coppersafe, if I remember correctly, which is chealated copper, bound to an organic substance so it will no precipitate as quickly as copper sulfate. If it had been copper sulfate you may have been alright, it precipitates (what isn't sucked up by the substrate) in a couple of days, that is why you need to keep adding it to your tank... The copper will have little effect on inverts with a hard exoskeleton, like shrimp and crabs and lobsters, I have no idea whether it would effect a sponge or not, my guess is that it isn't nearly as toxic to sponges as to other inverts.

Shedding leather...it will close all it's polyps, usually shrinks visibly, it will stay closed and shrunken for a few days and then it will expand bigger than normal. This breaks up the waxy film that has built up on the coral, the film will then begin to shed off, good waterflow aids in the process. after a day or so, it will begin to open it's polyps back up and it is business as usual. It is fairly common for this to happen when moved to another aquarium, with different lighting, water parameters, etc...

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 10:03 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Placed my leather coral in the quarintine tank last night. Looking much, much better this morning. Will try to go to Gainesville and have my water from display tank tested today.
Later,
Bett
Old 08-11-2002, 01:11 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Glad to hear that the leather is liking the q-tank better.

Tags
coral, first coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com