Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2004, 05:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

First Coral

I picked up my first coral today. Its a Green Star Polyp about 3" in Diameter. I know they can be a weed but I was looking for something hardy and relatively cheap to "test the water" before I invested in some larger more expensive varieties. The LFS owner said it would be a few days before it opened up but it seems to have opened up quite a bit in the 6 hours since I introduced him into the tank.

I expect that if anything will go wrong it will do so in less than 2 weeks. In the event it dies I'll wait a little longer, if It survives I'll start to add some more corals. Is 2 weeks long enought to gauge its reaction?

Old 12-29-2004, 07:17 PM   #2
steve-s

GSP's will generally open fully as soon as the lights come on if healthy and in the right positioning. As far as when they might not be doing well they will remain closed and begin to shrink. They typically do not noticabley "die" but rather waste away/shrink to nothing. As long as the coral opens normally, has good color and polyp extension you should be good to go water specs permitting.

The tanks been running about 3 months now?

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-29-2004, 07:58 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats! I know I am sticking to mostly softies for now until I get better at SW.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
The tanks been running about 3 months now?
Just over, LR went in 23 of Sep. Its been a pretty smoth ride. I've got some cyano starting in the main now but I lost most of my nutrient export when I upgraded sumps. I have 5 'baseballs' of chaeto coming in tommarow which should hopefully take care of that.

Quote:
Congrats! I know I am sticking to mostly softies for now until I get better at SW.
Same here. If everything goes well I'd like to get some button polyps and a small leather or toadstool, in hopes that when I get my clownfish they'd host it.

The only hard corals I'm looking at are acropora simply because I think my school(7) of Blue Green Chromis needs someplace to hide. Thats a ways off though, it'll take me months to research kalk reactors and all that jazz.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
sounds like your on the right path !
I'd give it a month to make sure all is well then SLOWLY expand your collection !
Old 12-30-2004, 07:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think they look better now than they did at the LFS.

Old 12-30-2004, 07:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to spongeynip
nice corals . I too am planning on getting Green Star Polyps from my LFS for my fist coral. Let me know how that turns out
Old 01-03-2005, 08:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I just got the same coral about a week ago and it is also my first. My tank has been running about 4-5 months with damsels and live rock. However, mine has still not opened and I haven't seen the polyps since it left the LFS. All my water parameters matched that of the lfs except I have more light and slightly higher flow. should I move the coral to another spot or leave it alone? should I feed it when it's closed up, or wait until the polyps extend so that I don't foul the water with uneaten food? thanks in advance...

Oqsy
Old 01-03-2005, 08:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Great start Sevise, let the addiction begin!!!!

www.panhandlereefers.com

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:02 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have far more light than the LFS. The LFS had a couple blue tubes(not sure what kind). I have 2x 250MH and 4x 54W T5s. They are at the top of my rockwork maybe 8 inches deep so they're getting blasted. I did have to a adjust a powerhead because when it was right on them they'd retract a bit. I have it blowing "over" them now so they wave some and they seem happier.

Tags
coral, first coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com