First corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HairlessPotter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm finally trying to find out what corals I want/can keep in my nano 24. This thread will just be a log on my coral keeping

My question right now is what would be a good first coral that my clownfish might host?

Actually a clownfish can kill a coral by hosting it. Mine hosted an acan and I had to move the acan to another tank. They can host anything from xenia to a mushroom and everything in between. Tank raised clowns host as well as the wild caught ones but it actually depends on the fish personality.

Clowns tend to like flowy corals that move with the water, at least from what I've seen. So anything like a torch, frogspawn or a leather, heck, maybe even xenia. LOL Mine used to host my auatralian elegance until they near about killed it and I had to move it. You alos have to watch out for sharp pieces on the corals so that your clowns dont get nicked if they do host.

To be honest, it was cool to see the whole hosting thing, BUT it does get old pretty quick. My clowns pretty much never left the elegance so it really cut down on their "display" time.

The lfs has a perfect sized torch but I've heard they can be kinda hard so I think I'll wait on it till in more experienced

Maybe I just won't worry about it for now

Would a maze brain coral be a good first one? Someone is selling a really cool purple and bright green one for $15

Clowns tend to like flowy corals that move with the water, at least from what I've seen. So anything like a torch, frogspawn or a leather, heck, maybe even xenia. LOL Mine used to host my auatralian elegance until they near about killed it and I had to move it. You alos have to watch out for sharp pieces on the corals so that your clowns dont get nicked if they do host.

To be honest, it was cool to see the whole hosting thing, BUT it does get old pretty quick. My clowns pretty much never left the elegance so it really cut down on their "display" time.

It depends on what type of clownfish. I had a really agressive breed that ripped the buds right of my xenia. But I had another clownfish(different breed) that didn't do anything to my xenias.:fish2:

I have a perfect spot for it. But do they just grow on their own or do I put it on a rock and let it cover it? Its just a tiny little one

Bettacrazy said:
It depends on what type of clownfish. I had a really agressive breed that ripped the buds right of my xenia. But I had another clownfish(different breed) that didn't do anything to my xenias.:fish2:

I'll have 2 oscellaris

Sniperhank said:
I should be getting corals this week too. I can't wait to get them and show them off :D

Haha I know how ya feel

So its now in the tank. Hopefully it opens up soon for pictures

Also what's a good lighting schedule? I've seen some people have at first just two bulbs turn on for a while then all 4 then end with just 2 again before all turn off.

Sorry I never got a picture yesterday but here it is

It seems to have lost a lot of color :/ the whole middle was bright orange when I got it. Is something wrong or do you think it will get its color back

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111211_133521.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111211_133521.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 98
Back
Top Bottom