First Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbecher

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, day one has finally come. Went and collected my 120 lbs of live rock for my tank from a local store and got it all setup and tested my water (I'm sure testing now might not mean anything, but the volume of LR I bought might bypass the cycle).

pH = This was a hard one to see on my API test to be honest, looks to be around 8 but I REALLY am unsure with this color card. Also of note I run the glass tops, should I leave the hinges open or remove them completely? Would this attribute to a possibly low pH?
NitrAte: 0ppm
NitrIte: 0ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
Salinity: 1.024
Temp: 80.1

I added a pinch of flaked fish food (how much is a "pinch" to you guys?) and I'll test again tomorrow I guess, to see if my parameters change.

On a side note I've already seen some mini asterina starfish (2) on the glass and a snail puttering around.

Is that live rock cured? Becuase if it isnt, then you wouldnt really need to add any outside influences to cycle the tank. The die-off that will occur when the live rock is curing will produce ammonia and cycle your tank for you. Also, theres really no need to test pH as it will be all over the place. Also, you dont really need to worry about the salinity as much either at this time. As long as you keep it between 1.022 and 1.028, you should be fine. The rest sounds good. I think a pinch is usually a small amount you can fit between your index finger and thumb. lol. At least thats my view of a "pinch"

Yes, the live rock was fully cured from the shop. They have giant tubs for curing, and I picked out all my own and did the smell test on each one :) He said the rock has been in there for a minimum of 3 months.

Alright cool. Then you certainly are on your way to success.

If the rock is fully cured, the challenge may be to get to seeing Nitrate and confirming it truly is. I would still add a fresh, raw, shrimp (in a media bag or something to allow clean removal) and allow it to re-cycle. That process should be fairly quick with cured rock, but it will yield a more robust bacterial colony and allow you to stock somewhat aggressively. JMO

+1 w/HN1...you will get a larger bacteria colony to handle your bio-load.

Wait.... I don't get a plus? Why do I have to be zero?

Just tested again today, as I've had the stomach flu ( *sigh ) and wasn't able to yesterday. My Nitrates have gone up a slight bit. Thoughts?

NitrAte: Between 5-10 ppm
NitrIte: 0ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm

Ya, i am going to do the same thing with cycling my tank twice. It will allow me to put in more then just 2 fish when i am ready to start the tank (maybe 3) and it will move the process along for my tank to mature faster. So +1 on HN1 answer.

Back
Top Bottom