First dive into the salty side!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lr would be $150, sand $25, pump $25, media $15, and rodi depends on if you make ur own.

Light-$100
Base rock-$60
Sand-$25-30
Media-$15
Powerheads-$50
Rodi-$150
Refractometer-$50
Salt-$20 instant ocean reef crystals 50 gallons worth

Total-$470

JESUS CHRIST! And that's without the fish, dang!
I will start off SLOWLY probably getting the pace up in the summer, having the chance to spend about 30 dollars a week, which is 120 a month

Man, I notice! Lol
But hopefully, I hope it's worth it
I heard that corals and all that stuff is a choice, is that true?because if I can go without them, I won't so I can start off easily

You don't need corals lol. You can start with a fowlr (fish only with live rock) in which case you could use any lighting until you get into corals.

You don't need corals just take it real slow you won't want to overwhelm your system. I think you got the right idea just remember your light will be your biggest investment it all depends on what corals you will want to keep. I would go for the 120 watt dimmable LEDs as they will grow anything you want

OHHHHHHH ok
So it's like freshwater live plants, you can get them but they are not necessary! Ok, sorry about that
Ok so I guess I'll start off without them, and if in the future I can get them I will
By the way, is cycling similar to freshwter?
How do I measure the salt levels?
And what about water changes?

OHHHHHHH ok
So it's like freshwater live plants, you can get them but they are not necessary! Ok, sorry about that
Ok so I guess I'll start off without them, and if in the future I can get them I will
By the way, is cycling similar to freshwter?
How do I measure the salt levels?
And what about water changes?

Cycling is same idea but done differently. The rock is your biological filtration as it houses the bacteria. My favorite method is to throw a raw shrimp in a mesh bag in and let it decompose as your ammonia source. You then test just like fw. To measure salinity you use a refractometer. To mix sw you fill up a bucket with rodi water, add the appropriate amount of salt, stick a powerhead in an let it mix overnight

Oh and corals are very differet than plants :). Corals are animals that have a commensal relationship with photosynthetic algae.

Back
Top Bottom