First dive into the salty side!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, so if I go to the LFS, that's about 25 dollars for 10 weeks, or 2 months, that's not that bad no?

Yes but it adds up and you don't have the luxury o making water whenever you want or need to

I understand :). I used lfs water for a while too and it just become a pain lol. But it does work.

Ok, so guess I'll do that
And guess I'll start with a FOWLR( hope i spelled that right)
I'll keep you guys updated!
Thanks so much for the help!

Goldfish boy ive seen you around on the planted side. Im going to follow your build as i want to make this jump in the future. Will be a good learning curve for me too.

Remember in a planted tank your trying to keep a constant level of nitrates, phosphates and other elements for good plant growth.

In a saltwater tank you want absolutely 0 of these things. I believe corals need certain micro nutrients that we use in the planted side but im sure the salty guys will let you know about that.

A RO/DI unit takes your tap water and passes it through a number of filters, a reverse osmosis membrane and a de ionisation resin. The water comes out 'pure'. It contains no chemicals, no dissolved solids (such as copper, calcium or iron) and no bacteria. It gives you a perfect base for your aquarium. You can then add the nutrients that you need and monitor them to keep it a constant.

If your ever on the planted side i have a progression thread. About halfway through the thread i purchased a RO/DI unit and set it up. It may be worth a read for you if your interested

Ok, thanks for all the info!
So corals don't like anything then huh?
Well, I'll start slow but eventually build my way

No they don't like nitrates or phosphates. But they need calcium, alkalinity and magnesium to build skeletons as well as other trace elements. That is what your salt mix does as well as making the water salty.

Oh ok, so the salt makes it ideal for the corals, ok sounds good
I want to try it, but after I have everything else, corals sound pretty sensitive

Eh soft corals are pretty easy. The ones that build actual skeletons are a little tougher

wow 8 pages in one day LOL, anywho, lps is easy to care for and easy to keep, sps is hard skeleton coral and can be tricky but are just as easy to keep with the right equipment.

Yea, ima give it a shot!
I'm just going to use the lighting that comes with the tank, and then I'll buy the special lighting

Yea, ima give it a shot!
I'm just going to use the lighting that comes with the tank, and then I'll buy the special lighting

i wouldnt use that tank hood t5, its maybe a 15w at the most, its less than a watt per gallon, it wont support much at all, i wouldnt want you buying corals and them die due to lack of light or slowly die a painful death, my suggestion is dont jump into corals unless your completely ready, hardware and yourself included. its a way more enjoyable experience (y)

i wouldnt use that tank hood t5, its maybe a 15w at the most, its less than a watt per gallon, it wont support much at all, i wouldnt want you buying corals and them die due to lack of light or slowly die a painful death, my suggestion is dont jump into corals unless your completely ready, hardware and yourself included. its a way more enjoyable experience (y)

He said he wasn't gonna do corals right away :)

Back
Top Bottom