Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2005, 04:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 120 as my show tank and I love the size of it. It is perfect for aquascaping, nice selection of fish to fit in there and you can get a decent number of fish as well. If you were to follow the guideline of 1" of fish per 5g of water a 55 would be looking at 11" of fish. At 3-4" a piece you're looking at 3 to 4 fish in your tank. Fewer if you've got messy fish (triggers, lions, puffers). Messy fish also require more frequent and diligent maintenance than some of the less messy fish. I would start out with at least a 90. Try the sale forums on various boards, find your local reef club and see what board they frequent. The local community is full of people up- and (surprisingly) down-grading. You're sure to find someone local who's getting rid of just the setup you're looking for! With any luck it falls into your budget as well!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Ocicat
There are different kinds of triggers, but they are all big fish, and almost all are mean. (And one of the smaller ones --the orange-lined trigger-- is reputed to be the meanest.) They definitely aren't good for a low-maintenance tank. Even the gentler ones are likely to eat any sort of cleaner crew like shrimps and crabs.

I'd really like a trigger, but my impression is that they'll create extra work, since you can't keep some of the helpful, tank-cleaning critters in there with them.

I don't know a lot about puffers, but I do know that they are also aggressive.

Old 11-01-2005, 05:43 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=700232

Just in case you're willing to drive to Jacksonville!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:43 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
Skip looking online for tanks and stands.

1. Tanks can't be shipped, only acrylic in some cases.
2.You can make your own stand if necessary,if you do get it online it'll seem kind of cheap but the weight charges will get you in the long run.

Try looking in walmart. I've onlty been to about 3 different ones in my area but they all have cheap starter tank kits. They have one with a 55 gallon tank, flourescent lighting, thermometer, a filter, and other little stuff. They also have stands if you don't want to make one. The kit runs about 150 dollars and the stand is about 70 or something close to that..... You might have to buy additional things like upgrade the filter or something if you want to but i'd say it's really cheap. I got my 30 gallon starter kit from there and it's pretty good.

A 55 gallon is too small for a tang. I think 75 would be aminimum in most cases.
And i'll tell you this right now. Unless you buy small fish you won't get 10 fish in that, even in a 55 gallon. .....Most triggers are too small for a 55 gallon. And it depends on what kind of puffer you want. Sharpnoses are usually around 4 inches or less so they would be able to be kept in a 55 as long as you choose tankmates wisely. Dogfaces are usually kept in 55's too but all the ones i've seen still look kind of cramped. I've seen the golden variety and it seemed crowded in this one stores 150 gallon. It was pretty huge.

The choice on fish is basicly depending on what you like. So get an idea and ask it here and we'll make suggestions or change things.

HTH
Old 11-02-2005, 04:53 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thanks a lot for the help

Thanks to everyone for helping me out. I will probably go with a bigger tank now. More like a 90 to a 125 gallon tank. That way I can get the type and number of fish.

As for the tank in jacksonville I would normally make a drive like that but we are still dealing with Katrina in MIssissippi and I am working 12 to 16 hours a day 7 days a week.

Thanks for the help and I will keep everyone posted on what I buy.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com